"Things I wish I didn't find in my milk"

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by runplaysleeprun, May 25, 2006.

1. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Ok, so I just poured myself a glass of milk (I drink about a gallon of milk every 4 days of so, so I get through enough), and I notice a dark thing floating in my glass. I look in, and its the thing in the photo attached to this. Well, after a short freak out, I get in into a glass with water, and it swims around a bit, then stops, and didn't again for a few minutes, and since then, hasn't swam since. Anyone recognize this thing? Or know why it would be in my milk? It was in a gallon of Dean's 2%, if anyone was interested. I imagine I should call Dean Foods and start yelling a good bit? Also, something like this in food wouldn't cause sickness, would it? I'm normally a healthy person, as is my family, but in the last day, 3 members of my family have been having runny noses and sneezing. And, we opened the gallon of milk 2 days ago. Dunno. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Yuck.

Well - it's a zooplankton of some sort...not sure which. :eek:

Looks like the stuff we used to pull out of seine nets in the bay.

Have no idea how it got in your glass of 2%, though.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, no idea what it is, but it's gotta be high in protein. :cool:

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It's a silverfish (pics), and it's much more likely it was already in the glass than it is that it was in the milk, alive, after pasteurization. But I suppose it's conceivable that it got in when the milk was left out on the counter. I can assure you it didn't arrive inside the milk.

5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I don't know what's more worrying - finding that in your milk or that it died after being in your milk.

It's lucky I don't like milk. If you'd found that in some Supernoodles or something I'd be so angry right now ;)

6. iGary Guest

iGary

Show off. :rolleyes:

I knew that. :D

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I feel like I should point out that iGary PM'd me the info I posted, just so I could look smarter. Thank you, iGary. ;)

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That was my thought also. You just beat me to it. :eek:

9. iGary Guest

iGary

Anything for you, JSW. :D

10. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Yeah, looks like a silverfish to me too. Very common in homes. Probably fell in or was in the glass already. Don't know about it swimming around though.

11. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

We might be better able to ID it if you could tell us what it tastes like?:eek:

12. taytho macrumors 6502

i would like to point out that your title "things i wish i didnt find in my milk" is a completely irresistable title. how could you not read something titled that.

To add to your list of things that i would not like to find in my milk (other than silverfish):

-Hair of any kind

-jack daniels...... trust me it isnt that good

- brian dennehy

i can speak from experience on the first two..... not plesent.... the third is just a guess.

13. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I think Rambo would concur. :p

"All I wanted was somethin' to eat"

14. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

at least it's not a cockroach *shudder those are disgusting, my grandmother used to swat them with her bare hand/foot if she ever saw one O_O

15. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Ice, I ****ing hate it when I bring the milk in on a winter morning and go to pour it on my cereal and I just get chunks of white ice.

Or when birds pierce the foil lid and drink my milk before I get the chance to bring it in.

16. todd2000 macrumors 68000

You still have a milkman? How 1950s of you :)

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I wouldn't live without a milkman. I go through just under 3L per day at the moment. It's a pretty cheap way to fill up, although I should probably start cut back, or at least not drink full-cream milk. :cool:

18. pooky macrumors 6502

To answer the other half of the original post, no, a silverfish wouldn't make you sick. If you ever use flour, cereal, or any other kind of milled or whole grains, you eat tons of the little guys. They're everywhere, and usually we don't even notice them. They're even taken into account when the manufacturers put how much protein is in your cereal on the label.

19. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Now that is gross.

20. margotspop macrumors regular

I stopped drinking milk about three weeks ago - though I wasn't a big drinker anyway. I now use soy milk on my cereal, and it really isn't too bad!

What put me off milk, was something I read about the amount of pus cells that are in milk and how unnatural it is to be drinking other animals milk after infancy. Now that's the sort of thing I don't want in my milk!

21. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

At least now I know what kind of protein I have to thank for my strong muscles. :) Okay so they're not so strong. Those tricep extensions while lying on my back were so hard today....

I've been gradually migrating from milk to soy milk and now towards rice milk. I get enough estrogen from being a woman and from soy protein powder as it is.... no need to increase that amount any more than I need to. :)

22. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Umm. I noticed you are drinkning 2%. Is that 'cause you think your fat? "Cause your not. You couls be drinkning whole if you wanted to.;)

23. runplaysleeprun thread starter macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

Oddly, I had meant to go for the 1% that was in the fridge, but I usually drink the 2, so I instinctually went for the 2. I could have avoided this whole thing (assuming it was in the milk and not already in my glass) and could have emotionally scarred another member of my family in place of me. Pity.

24. lem0n macrumors regular

lem0n

soy milk are yummy, especially the sweetened kind, it doesn't feel as "heavy" when you drink it in.