Things That Don't Work In Tiger {A Shortlist}

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Maayan, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Maayan macrumors newbie

Maayan

I've read plenty of reviews of Tiger's awesome new features (Dashboard, Spotlight, and so forth). Now, I'd like to hear about things that don't work in the WWDC beta release of Tiger, whether it be built-in features (such as, say, "Preview") or third-party applications. ;)

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If it's Tiger beta, does it really matter if things don't work? That's like saying a car won't go when it's only halfway through the assembly line and being concerned...

3. Maayan thread starter macrumors newbie

Maayan

It does to me, if I'm planning on installing it. :) If, say, my favorite and frequently-used applications don't work just yet...

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

IE somtimes becomes unstable on me. And your probbably saying, 'wtf would you use IE anyways?' I'll tell you: in Safari, you cannot connect to https sites, so you have to use something like FireFox, or IE.

BitTorrent becomes unstable too, so I've had to switch to Tomato Torrent.

If you want to see if your favorite programs work, the only real way to see is to instll it yourself and try it.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm sure a host of people will point out to you that the Tiger PREVIEW is available to developers only. From the sound of things you don't quite fall into this category...

Ignoring the above, Tiger is very beta software so I wouldn't recommend having it as your main OS. If you really want to test it out then I would at the very least have it on external hard drive or partition, that way you can still keep your current OS.

6. James L macrumors 6502a

I say if you are a legit developer you will be smart enough to not count on Tiger yet, or any pre-release beta for that matter yet.

If you are not a legit developer and have obtained an illigitimate copy than I say you get what you deserve.

Enjoy... at your own risk!

Cheers,

James

7. grabberslasher macrumors 6502

Well for me no game works - from quake 3 to unreal to black and white to the sims. That could be an OpenGL thing.

Also, the Calculator crashes every time I click on the menu.

Acquistion crashes frequently

Fire won't run properly

Any RealBasic program compiled in 10.3 or earlier crashes with an error.

Erm, can't think of anything else yet...

Although I did like Tiger a lot, I had to revert to Panther for the moment.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

hmm, you'd install Tiger, then come back in two weeks, complaining about how Tiger screwed up your computer, and ruined your life, and can't we tell you how to get rid of it quickly and easily? Dude, it's beta software. beta. leave it to the genuine beta testers and developers until it goes gold-- you're not so damn important that you can't just use Panther in the meantime.

paul

9. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Right now, there are some new features that haven't been talked about that aren't quite there yet (NDA, sorry). Some websites don't work in Safari at all (https). Right now, iDisk isn't working for me so far, neither is a special .Mac account available to Tiger users. The next time I'm in Tiger, I'll list some things.
    –Chase

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Safari in Tiger doesn't do https? I wonder what happened, right now Safari handles https really well compared to IE 5.2 in Panther. I am stuck having to use it to access my college email and I prefer Safari to Firefox so if that continues to be a problem with Tiger retail, I'll be irked.

11. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Dude, people, chill out...if he wants to install Tiger then who cares if he's a developer or not, if you don't think it's "right" or "cool" to illegally get a pre-release OS and install it, then that's your opinion but you don't have to flood the thread with "who cares what happens, you'll get what you deserve, muahahaha," if you can't answer his question then why bother posting...

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think you answered his question, either.

But quite frankly, neither will I....

Anyway, install Tiger and tell us how it goes. :)

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you didn't answer his question either, why are you posting?

14. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

https sites work for me, sometimes i get message saying somthing that i cant remember but when i click it it just go's to the site, as for games quake 3 runs ok only a little slow, 2d games work fine and halo has all these glitches and screen artifacts, i could not copy files to my ipod but that was fixed with an update, and networking is dodgy but otherwise it's fine, other people get kernal panics galore so i'd try it on a firewire disk to see if it's ok on your mac. it really dose vary mac to mac it's fine on my ibook but not fine on my cube.

15. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

16. thedoc1111 macrumors regular

In fact, I'm pretty sure Tiger is still offically alpha - i.e. still adding (major) new features rather than in bug fixing.

So don't install it unless it's on an FW drive or you just want to play with dashboard.

17. savar macrumors 68000

savar

WTH? Can't connect to https sites? I'm sure that you can do this in the release version of Safari...are you saying the Tiger version is broken?

18. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

I'm sure this is just a temporary bug, and it will be fixed by the time the final release version of Tiger is due. It would be suicidal of Apple to not allow Safari to connect to https sites.

Attached Files:

19. Maayan thread starter macrumors newbie

Maayan

Lame!

Dude. What is it with flames and this forum?

20. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

No offense, Maayan, but that's what'll happen when you introduce a topic that gets a lot of people on edge. If you search, you'll find there were quite a few people who got ahold of pre-release developer copies of 10.1 and 10.2 and 10.3 before they went gold. These people installed them thinking they had the latest and greatest OS and were majorly bummed out when half their Mac didn't work right after. They came to these boards looking for help on what to do and wanting symathy...well, guess what?

anyway, good luck with your 10.4

21. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

ahh, yes, may people here will jump down your throats if you even think/ask about installing 10.4. Frankly, I'm getting sick of it**. I'm also getting sick of the n00bs who post here about stupid things like 'I installed 10.4 and now I got a kernel panic and it ruined the paper I was working on, Apple blows a**!!' (or something along those lines)

I've always turned a blind eye on things about 10.4, although I guess some people should try to maintain order/the law/whatever....

**I don't mind a simple reminder that installing 10.4 is illegal, I just don't like seeing 25+ posts about how it's illegal.

22. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I just can't enough of all you people with such high morals here, it makes me laugh, keep up the good work fellas :rolleyes: :p

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

https sites work for me fine :D

Attached Files:

24. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

if you don't like it, don't read it!

;)

congrats on the post!

25. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

if you want to piss people off flame away.

i'm running 10.4 pirated but i know what i'm doing, yes noobs should be told to not use tiger dont flame everyone some of us know what were talking about and are useing tiger in a sensible manner.