Things to bring and not to bring to college

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Timepass, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Timepass macrumors 65816

Ok after seeing all the "what computer for college" threads coming up I think I'll add in something else for all those incoming freshmen to school. Now is a good time to start thinking about it.
    First things first. Dont bring anything you dont really need. It will just eat up the very little space you have. Most dorm rooms are like 14ftx14ft and you are sharing it with some else. So think about all the stuff you want to bring and double it. And now imagine all that in that small little room. Along with basic school supplies

Things you are going to want.

A new computer Not your parents old computer, rather one that is less than 1 year old and is at least a middle of the road one.

Ethernet cable CAT-5

A printer. I would recommend getting one of the "all in ones" out there (Printer scanner copier). I find my self scanning and copying something more often than I originally thought I would.

Flash drive (256 megs at least. The iPod is not going to cover this job you will want the flash stick and one that can go on a keychain)

A Cell phone. It will be you primary way of contacting other people and most numbers will be long distance to call since they are all cells from their home towns

3 ring binders for each class. It a good way to keep all your notes and hand outs in one location and easy to fine.

3 hole punch (need it to go with the binder)

Some type of planner (I use a Palm Pilot for mine to keep track of meeting and homework and what not)

Paper and spiral note books. Milk crate or 2 for storing and transporting stuff up. (make a good end table if stacked)

Hamper for dirty clothing.

Some sliverware, plates and a few bowls (you will eat some in your room and you will want them)

DUCT TAPE

Some type of daily planner organiser (my Palm Pilot covers that for me. An no you laptop can not cover this job. You need a PDA, Palm Pilot or a daily planner thing. Most people go with the planner)

Alarm clock

Portable music player because it's nice just to listen to music without disturbing others. Heck I use mine all the time while studing in my room and I dont have a roommate. It just easier to studing with them for me.

A good desk lamp.

A microwave: To warm up leftovers, snacks, etc.

Cheap digital camera: for all your college memories

Things not to bring

A lot of personal reading books. They just take up space and you will not have the time to read them.

All your DVDs and movies same as above

Tons of little things from home. Bring just maybe a few items but no more than 4 or 5

Stereo System (you dont have the room and you computer can cover it)

Surround sound system (space limitation)

Things to contact you room-mate about

Mini Fridge

TV (also you dont really need a TV. I hardly watch mine any more.)

Can anyone think of other stuff to add to this list. I see way too many freshmen in for rude awakening when they come to school where they have too much stuff up here for their room and not enough stuff for school and they have trouble adjusting to it. Figure putting together a list like this is helpful.

edit: thx Chundles for fixing the errors. I just put the correct one up also updated it
    Timepass

2. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Nice idea for a thread. Cell phone's are not a necessity. All of the dorm rooms I've been to have had land line phones, which are usually free! A flash drive is pretty useless too, unless you're in a computer based class, which most classes are not.

As for a printer, get a laser printer. They're cheap now, and last for ever. No more 'morning of your term paper deadline and your inkjet has ran out of ink'. Up to 5000 pages per toner with laser, best choice I ever made.

These are my opinions from my personal experiences in University.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Good suggestions. I would also add:

1. A microwave: To warm up leftovers, snacks, etc.
    2. Cheap digital camera: for all your college memories

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

A hot pot can be very useful but it would be best to purchase one when you have moved into your dorm if you traveled from afar.

5. poisoned hawk macrumors newbie

poisoned hawk

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

When I went to university I took my own mattress with me. When I saw the state of the one that greeted me in my room I was glad I brought it...

7. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I use my flash drive all the time to carry projects around from computer to computer, its also handy just incase you need an electronic journal from a computer etc.

I agree a TV is not important, I didn't have any need for it, I'm sure you can find better things to do with your time, i.e. watch dvds or party etc.

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Why bother, when it's all on your Mac? Dictionary.app/wdgt. ;)

There's also built-in spell checking in Safari.

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I would agree with most items, with the following thoughts/exceptions:

Ethernet cable...these were free and lying around when I went to college...no need to bring your own. Check with your school.

Cell phone...agreed that it's probably a necessity these days. I didn't have one in my college days and ran up tremendous phone bills. College phone rates are notoriously high, so avoid them at all costs.

No duck tape...I prefer duct tape. Good for everything except sealing ducts.

Personal reading books, DVDs, etc...of course bring them. Don't bring 3000 of them, but there's plenty of time for relaxing activities like these.

Stereo system...I know computers are better at serving this function than they were ten years ago when I went to college, but I certainly took full advantage of my system, complete with subwoofer. No better way to chase out the dorky roommate than by cranking up the bass while he's trying to study.

TV...you might think you don't need it, but I always found mine useful. I usually had some sort of sports on most of the time, either actively watching or just as background while doing homework.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It is helpful and a very good idea. I just went through and fixed all the spelling and grammatical errors that I could see just to make it a little easier for the people reading the list to understand.

I'd add to the "Things to Take" list:

- Some sort of money box to put change in for laundry.
    - Posters to personalise your room (most of the guys staying in colleges here at Uni have their own rooms so it helps to really make it your own).
    - A good desk lamp.
    - Definitely a Dictionary/Thesaurus.
    - Batteries.

Things not to bring:

- Old High School attitudes/clique mentalities.
    - The weight of others' expectations.

11. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

If I didn't bring my DVDs I would die out here. I would recommend DVDs as they are a good source of entertainment and something to do on those days you are really bored. Don't forget medicine and stuff like that. College campuses have a tendancy to be very unsanitary.

12. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Don't most colleges have a school debit card system by now? Mine did ten years ago...just swipe the card in the laundry room and suds up!

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Whoa! When I lived in the dorm the phones were only free for local calls. This was also true of my sisters dorm. Cell phones were the best way for me to call home. Plus I called my mom while I was walking to class. Saved time that way (and you never have enough time in college).

Out of line again. There are many good reasons to have a flash drive other than a computer based class. Just going to a computer lab to meet with classmates to do home work. Carrying around phone numbers or email addresses. I've had to email teachers questions or something when I wasn't in my room. Even typing up a paper in between classes so no to waste time.

14. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Things not to bring
    Personal reading books
    DVDs and movies
    Mini Fridge
    TV, VCR, DVD player, etc.

Basically, get used to the idea of not watching any TV or movies or reading any non-course material right now. Start weaning yourself off all those series you just must watch. You'll be spending all your time doing one of the following:

In a lecture
    In a lab
    In the library
    In the computer room
    Reading course material
    Reading around course material / researching
    Eating
    Sleeping
    Doing coursework
    Drinking
    Partying

If you want to watch a movie, one of your flatmates will always be willing to oblige (anything to get out of doing work) and without a TV or DVD player of your own, you'll spend more time working. You'll probably end up going to the cinema most weekends anyway.

Don't take a Microwave. There is probably at least one already in the kitchen and if not, buy a cheap one between you and your flatmates when you get there.

One of the hardest decisions is whether to take a push-bike (or motocycle/car if you are lucky enough). Petty crime tends to be quite high on most campus'. Do your research before you go - if most students have taken their car/motorcycle/push-bike, then take yours, too. But think about where you are going to leave it (both during the day and during the night) and whether it will be safe and secure.

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

That's how mine worked and it still does. Much easier than change.

16. Timepass thread starter macrumors 65816

True on the land lines free from the school but they can only make local calls with out being charged which would take calling most of your friends because a majority of the cells phones will be long distances for you to call. Heck in my room I am given a free land line but I never plug in the phone. Forgot my phone cord and saw no point to buy one. Besides my cell phone doubles as my personal phone.

As for the flash drive. I would still say it a good idea to bring one even if you dont have a computer class. I dont use mine to offen for class them selves but I do quite offen need to transport a file to or from a friends computer or to where I am going ot be meeting with a group. Another example is for when the writing center (free on campus resourse to help out with papers) goes over one of my papers they want me to bring it on a USB flash drive. That way they can edited there when going it over with me and save me a new copy.

Remember saving space is key

Bring some DVDs and some personal books is fine. My first year I brought way to many and they just wasted very valuble space. After that I really cut back on what I brought in that deparment just being a few of my favorite ones and just a few books mostly the ones that I enjoy reading a little out of (book full of short stories) and book that I was activecily reading when I left. I read maybe a few chapters of it a week now but very little. The DVD are just a few of my favorite ones (like 4 out of my collection) and the ones the ones my friends requested that I bring up. But there was a lot of cornated work there. For freshman it easier only to bring the few you really like. The rest you can easily borrow from some in the dorms. It be at the xmas break where you figure out what else you would like to bring and chance are you be taking a good bit back with you.

At the end of summer I make sure to post another list relating on how to adjust to college to help out the poor freshman some. A little earily now for that list. Now is the time to think about the stuff to bring and not to bring. So everyone think about he list. I will later take what people posted add it to one saved to my computer and update my list in both the first post and in a new one. This tread will get bump if it does not stay at the top some time during the summer :-D

So everyone add to the list

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the only essential thing is the coffee-maker, possibly espresso.

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not mine. We had to scrounge sooo many $1 and 20c coins to do laundry. It was a pain in the arse.

19. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's only essential if you drink coffee. If I brought one, it would be a nice sculpture, but that's about it.

20. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

Yeah I can see that in some rooms DVDs might be problem. My roommate and I got lucky and were stuck in the biggest dorms on campus. We each have our own room (wall and door inbetween us). He has a DVD rack that can hold somewhere betweeen 75-125 DVDs and it actually doesnt take up that much space. We have it filled right now (we both love to watch movies) and we both have a CD holder with about 20 other DVDs. So obviously most people are not like him and I but if you do have a CD holder, just put your DVDs in there, the case itself does not take up much room.

21. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Definitely bring DVDs to college. You will have lots of free time to watch them, and they help in breaking the ice and making friends. (Make sure they are in a binder to reduce space)

Bring an extra towel, incase you need it for something.

DO NOT BRING: A Printer of any Kind. You will have no room for it, plus the supplies cost an arm and a leg. Use your thumb drive to take anything you need printed to a computer lab. The iPod Shuffle is quite handy for this.

DO NOT BRING: Silverware, Plates, or Bowls. Buy Paper plates/bowls, plastic silverware/cups as you will have no place to clean them in a dorm.

While in the dorms you may not need a stereo or TV, you will when/if you move to a Fraternity, house, or Apartment.

If your school typically lasts more than 4 years, plan on needing a new computer by the middle of your 4th year.

Invest in clothes hangers when you get there, and leave them at the end of the term, no need trying to pack those horrible things.

Bring at least one good set of clothes. You never know when you may need to dress up.

TEG

22. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I disagree...I always had plenty of room for my printer. There's nothing worse than having to slog across campus to print something out in the middle of the night, and then get ripped off by the university for the privilege.

Disagree here too...I always found them helpful, and it's very easy to wash up a bowl and a spoon in the dorm bathroom. Let's help the environment here, folks, and eat off of better plates in the process.

Definitely agree with this one...

23. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Forgot to add that a Foreman is essential.

No one can disagree with that.

24. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Damn right. I decided to do some personal reading one day freshman year--I ended up about 2 or 3 days behind in my classwork! (and I was fairly studious.) No more personal reading for me. ;)

For things to bring I'd add flip flops (or thongs to some of you out there) for the dorm showers--yeeck.

I can't comment with certainty on network cables (I worked at the computer center and could get what I needed--besides we were using LocalTalk networking back then) nor USB drives (since our campus network was top-notch and simple--yay AppleTalk) but since both are cheap I'd bring 'em just in case.

25. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Wouldn't they need raw food to take advantage of that? Depending on where the school is, and what the student's disposition is, they're probably not going to get to the grocery store much, at least not for packages of meat or whatever. :confused: