Things To Do on a LAN

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iHungry, Jul 5, 2004.

1. iHungry macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2004
    Hi, I currently own a PowerBook G4, an iBook G4, an iMac G4, and a Desktop PC. They are all set up wirelessly (airport extreme) and working fine.

Now, I know there are some features and benefits of being on a LAN, such as streaming music on iTunes from one computer to another. And theres things like file sharing between a Mac and a PC.

Does anyone else know of any other things that you could do on a LAN.

And I have two questions.

1) Is there a type of application in which you can (IM) people on your local network (besides Rendezvous-something maybe compatible with a PC)?

2) I have know problem sharing files from the PC to the Mac, but I can't figure out how to share Mac files to the PC.

Thanks for any input.
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    You could use one of the desktop computers as a fileserver for the other computers. That way all your files would be available from all computers all the time, and you'd never have problems with versioning.

There are obvious gaming applications.

I assume you're sharing the Internet connection between computers.

If you have an Airport Extreme base station you can share a single (rendezvous-enabled) printer between all the computers. Or you can enable printer sharing on one of the stand-alone PCs (not sure how to do this with a Windows machine).

You can also use an application (I think it's VNC remote?) to control your PC from your macs. That way, you'd have a real "virtual PC".

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
  3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    1) I found this (QuickPopup) - it's compatible with Windows, Mac OS 9/X, and Linux; it works over your LAN, rather than the internet, and it's commercial software (you can try it free for 30 days - after that, you must pay $15 per copy to continue using it).
    2) Panther has a sharing feature called Windows sharing - turn this on, then on your Windows machine, make a new network place using the IP address it gives you and your Mac username and password. Once that's done, click on the network location you just created on your Windows machine to access your Mac's files (in your home directory only).
    Oddly enough, I have the exact opposite problem - I can get my Windows machine to access my Mac's shared files just fine, but I can't figure out how to get my Mac to access shared folders on mu Windows machine.
  4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    If you have some friends over, you could play a LAN game such as Starcraft or Warcraft ( with them.
  5. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Make sure the files you want to access are in your home folder somewhere
    Turn on Windows File Sharing
    On the PC open Internet Explorer
    In IE type \\name-of-mac\shortname
    You will be prompted for a user name and password which should be your short name and user password.

Make sure you don't have a firewall on, on the PC.
    Try the connect to from Finder using smb://windows-computer-name/
    Go into Directory Access and configure the SMB entry to the same Workgroup as your PC.
  6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    That worked! Thanks.