Think I might have to buy an iBook G4...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DJS1234, May 3, 2006.

  1. DJS1234 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #1
    I'm going a bit mad at the mo, my old iBook has gone to Mac heaven after years of faithful service so i'm stuck on a Sony Vaio (Feel for me people!!)

    I need a new mac laptop and i could stretch to a Macbook Pro BUT-

    1) They seem to have a ton of issues with heat (Which would P*$$ me off as I use my laptop on my lap quite a lot) and noise (Farmyard animal fan noises!)

    2) I think 15.4" is a bit big for me i'd love 12" or more likely 13.3" (I might be able to settle with 15.4" if it didn't have heat/other issues

    So I might just buy a 12" iBook G4 1.33 and run it till next year when hopefully we'll be on revision B Macbooks that will have sorted all the inevitable problems out that they'll have similar to the Macbook Pro (I do hope Apple's manufacturers learn how to apply thermal compound to a CPU)

    Any ideas/comments people (I need help as i'm about to conciously buy an out-of-date machine!!) One thought, is the 12" Powerbook worth the extra hmmmmmmmmm
     
  2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

    Lord Blackadder

    Joined:
    May 7, 2004
    Location:
    Sod off
    #2
    The Intel iBook replacement is widely expected to arrive this month...it might be a good idea to wait a few weeks.
     
  3. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #3
    Thats the problem thought it's been widely expected for months now and also if it has a fault list like that of the Macbook Pro then the revision A is a risky choice.

    I couldn't cope with a laptop that operates with a case temp. of 53degrees c!

    But on the same subject i'm still wrestling with the prospect of buying a really old unit! (Bless the ol' G4 but it's past its prime now!)
     
  4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

    Lord Blackadder

    Joined:
    May 7, 2004
    Location:
    Sod off
    #4
    Most of the reliable rumor site have said April/May on the iBook replacement so you're still in that window - also the MacBook has given Apple the chance to iron out some potential Rev A issues in the iBook, so my guess is that it will be a better experience for the early adopters.

    On the other hand, I just bought a refurbed 15" PowerBook G4 last week. I need a laptop NOW, and I couldn't afford a MacBook. I'll probably replace it in about six months but when you need it, you need it. We can't always wait for Apple. ;)
     
  5. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #5
    I know, i'll wait for Merom core CPU's to be out and about as they will be BIG (40% less power with 20% average increase in speed) The 40% less power will do wonders for battery life.

    Hopefully post Macworld next January there will be a Macbook revision out and then i'll sell the iBook and buy a revision B Macbook that will fingers crossed come with more memory/bigger hard drive than the revision A and a Merom Core CPU giving me loads of battery life and power:)
     
  6. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #6
    Also i'm hoping when it does come out i'll be able to palm off the iBook with warranty left on eBay as they seem to hold their money quite well (G3 500's go fro about £250 even now).

    So i can get a 'filler' mac and not lose out too much when the Macbooks come out...
     
  7. DJS1234 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 1, 2006
    #7
    Well i just went to my local pc world and the as always unhelpful assistant told me that their returns policy is basically only if faulty. They will not accept returns due to dissatisfaction. A few phone calls later and I found a few retailers who will accept returns due to dissatisfaction upto 28days after the purchase although may impose a 15% restocking fee.

    So... I will go to onw of these retailers and buy myself a G4 iBook and then if in the next 28 days Apple produce a Macbook then I can take the G4 back to the store and take a credit note minus restocking fee (I dont mind the 15% if i get to upgrade straight away) and use that credit plus extra cash to get a new Macbook.

    Alternativly if Apple carry on saying nothing about the Macbook, as we have all seen so far, then I'll have a G4 iBook to keep me going as supposed to right now where I have a Vaio running XP

    I have to say though after looking at the G4 ibook in the flesh (I haven't seen one for ages) it is starting to look a little old! (After a very long, distinguished career!)

    Bring on the Macbook and if its within 28 days of tomorrow (The announcement that is, doesn't have to be shipping date) I'll be marching off for a credit note and ordering me a Macbook!:)

    COME ON APPLE MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!!
     

Share This Page