Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I hope my trusty old ipad 2 gets the update!
Most likely since it's still being sold as new.

Sure iOS6 axed the iPad 1. But it hadn't been sold as new for about 2 years.

That seems like a logical policy for them. Make sure it's operational at least on devices still being sold as new.

BitsOfApple

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
IPhone 5, 4S & 4 all get the iOS 7 update. The 3GS and below will not support it or iPad 2 and below.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
4 will likely get iOS 7, but only for app compatibility (iOS 7 API's.) Reason being they are still selling it. 4S will likely get mostly everything.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
For some unknown reason, while the 4S will see iOS 7, a feature or two will be disabled. There won't be an issue hardware-wise to disable this, it will be Apple's money grab. They have to push consumers out of the 4S to the eventual 5S somehow.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
this how it works
iPhone 4: dropped, little ios 7 support
iPhone 4s: iOS 7 basic
iPhone 5: iOS 7 Premium
iPhone 5S: iOS 7 deluxe premium (exclusive features)

iPad 2: same as ip4
iPad 3: same as ip4s
iPad 4: same as ip5
iPad Mini: In between 4s and 5
iPad 5: same as 5s

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
this how it works
iPhone 4: dropped, little ios 7 support
iPhone 4s: iOS 7 basic
iPhone 5: iOS 7 Premium
iPhone 5S: iOS 7 deluxe premium (exclusive features)

iPad 2: same as ip4
iPad 3: same as ip4s
iPad 4: same as ip5
iPad Mini: In between 4s and 5
iPad 5: same as 5s

That seems pretty spot on, but like someone else said the ipad 2 may get a little more since it is still sold as "new".

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Of course it will be but as we've already seen they are still arbitrarily holding back features (aka so far airdrop) to push new device sales. Sickening really.

bindle

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
Of course it will be but as we've already seen they are still arbitrarily holding back features (aka so far airdrop) to push new device sales. Sickening really.

Airdrop requires a hardware feature for wifi to wifi transfer that older devices simply don't have.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Airdrop requires a hardware feature for wifi to wifi transfer that older devices simply don't have.

Please, name it then. I have couple of 10 year old B cards that handle peer-peer. I can already hotspot my wifi on my 4s but I can't p2p files?

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
4s does not have wifi direct. iphone 5 has.

Try again, iphone 5 is direct certified either at this time. Not to mention there really isn't much of a hardware limit on direct...

Will legacy devices be upgradeable to support the specification underlying the Wi-Fi
Direct certification program? The Wi-Fi Direct certification program does not require new
hardware to operate, so some vendors may offer software upgrades. However, it’s important to
note that interoperability between devices certified under the Wi-Fi Direct program and legacy © 2010 Wi-Fi Alliance. All rights reserved.
devices is a key element of the underlying specification, so even non-upgraded devices can join
a network certified as Wi-Fi Direct.

You don't know what Apple devices MIGHT be capable or they they are even going for the cert.

jebbe

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Louisville, KY
Seeing that they said this in the keynote, yes.

It will not be getting Filters inside the camera app or AirDrop and probably minor ones here and there.

Plus I'd imagine it's built more around the 5 and the newer iPod Touches anyways since all of the screens are going to that size now. Same thing happened when they went from the 3GS to the 4.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
The camera filters aren't really a big deal. I would rather shoot a normal shot and have more choices in editing.

Airdrop seems to be the main difference between the two. We would probably use it occasionally if it was on the 4S, but it is not enough reason to update. I would need to convince everyone else to move up to a 5 and that isn't going to happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.