Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
According to Think Secret:

"Unconfirmed reports from insiders state that Apple will launch its Back-to-School promotion Monday, offering students and faculty members a $150 rebate when any Mac is purchased alongside an iPod through Apple education.

The promotion essentially offers students a free 1GB iPod nano, or a discount off a higher level iPod. Apple offered a similar promotion last year."

I would think that Apple would offer it closer to the start of the next academic year, not at the end of one. We'll just have to wait and see.

Here's the link

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
last year u got a free 4Gb Mini...also i heard 179 price off(edu price of a iPod nano 2Gb educational)

Either way good news for students

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Maybe this will make the iPod HiFi actually worth buying.

This will probably push me to buy a MacBook, instead of waiting for the GMA 965 to get in there.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Yea, this is more like Out-of-School, that Back-to-School. If this is true, this is good news for me. That can pay for my extra Ram. :D

jvan

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
that sucks, i already have a nano.. don't need to buy another one for 150 rebate.. unless i take the 1gig nano ($150)

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
yeah, last year it was $179 rebate and you could buy any iPod you wanted, which a lot of people got the iPod Mini's which in turn was free after mail in rebate. That same promo is what made me finally switch over to a mac user, and i'm glad they ran it. In fact, I might participate again this year!

Z

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
This is actually a good time. As long as it continues through August because a lot of people buy computers during the summer, as well as for graduation presents. Too late for me though. Picking up my MBP monday unless there out of stock.

MUCKYFINGERS

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
CA
ThinkS**t lost a lot of its credibility in my eyes with their recent inaccuracies that plagued their website...

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
WTF?!

1gb iPod Nano?! I wont even be able to fit a tenth of my music collection on it!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
wako said:
1gb iPod Nano?! I wont even be able to fit a tenth of my music collection on it!
Well, that's why *if* this rumor is true and works like last year's promo, you can apply that same dollar amount toward another iPod.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
beloved84 said:
is it rebate and the education discount?
In the past yes, but there's still no guarantee that this rumor is any more than just that.

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
wow sometimes i feel like apple is marketing to specifically me. i guess i'll have to buy that macbook after all mr. jobs. Thanks.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
This is a bit early...last year's Student Union promo started on June 28th.

karichelle

macrumors member
May 26, 2006
Ohio
IMHO this would be a good time as well...I know among my friends and I, when we graduated high school five years ago, nobody bought their college computer in August. Pretty much everyone got theirs in June and used it at home for a while, then headed off to campus with it.

I just wish I would have been able to wait to buy mine this year so I could get in on this... ;)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
WildCowboy said:
Maybe they're hoping to clear out inventory of remaining PPC machines?

mortey

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2005
so cal
I agree with karichelle in that most students buy their equipment in late june, early july. Let's hope this is true.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
mortey said:
I agree with karichelle in that most students buy their equipment in late june, early july. Let's hope this is true.
i got mine in early August....:eek: that i and i waited as long as possible to see if apple would release a rev D...

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2005
puckhead193 said:
i got mine in early August....:eek: that i and i waited as long as possible to see if apple would release a rev D...

haha, same here, i got my equipment the last week of the promo, than didn't open anything until after the keynote to make sure there was no updates and than i opened my beatiful 12inch powerbook.. been loving it ever since =)

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
wako said:
WTF?!

I'm down...I have a 1gb, but I sure dont mind putting down 130 more for a 30gb video!

beloved84 said:
is it rebate and the education discount?
Yupppers!

WildCowboy said:
but previous years it had started at the end of may...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.