Think Secret Editor seeks legal aid

Discussion in 'Community' started by Maclarny, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2003
    I found this article, today.

Now I'm not a lawyer and can't give much help to this friend of Mac Users, but I am very upset that Apple has taken it upon itself to teach this kid a lesson. Unless the court finds Apple's suit as bullying or the teen gives up his sources he's likely going to get jail time. Can anyone help this kid?
  2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    This has been posted a few times in the News section.
  3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Everyone is saying how sick Apple is to do this...

But the support this kid is getting for ignoring letters from Apple Legal is rather scant.

Heck, even the support behind him for the online petition is less than 1500 signatures. :p

And you don't see too many people tripping over each other to set up PayPal donation accounts for ThinkSecret.

Even though it seems to be 50-50 in support of him, the people that think he's getting screwed haven't offered to step up and pony up some dough yet.

Edit: the petition is rather pointless... However, Apple would get the message if people stepped up to offer money and legal support.
  4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I wonder if the EFF has even said anything on this matter...

Your search - thinksecret - did not match any documents.

Guess not :p
  5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    It's over on the AP line... I personally am not going to bother with a direct link.
    So EFF is trying to help foist him off on somebody else. ;)
  6. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    You know, I keep hearing that Apple shouldn't bite the hands that feed it. Maybe Nick should follow that advice. We all like rumors, but I think he stepped over the line on this one. They even warned him to take it down, and he refused. This is not a free press or speech issue either, it doesn't fall under that protection.

I'd love to feel more sorry for him, but if you can't stand the heat...
  7. Zaid macrumors 6502

Feb 17, 2003
    Is there a fund set up to help this guy? Where would one send money to if you wanted to help him out?
  8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I think Apple may eventually respond to the negative publicity. I think people should also write e-mails to Apple, just saying, without claiming or asking Apple to admit that Thinksecret was right about anything they did, it would be a favor to the Mac user community (and we are much more of a family than users of any other kind of computer) if Apple would find a way to resolve its differences with Thinksecret without continuing legal action. That's all.

Oh, and FWIW, I was signature 2940, so it seems to have gone up a lot since you looked, Sun Baked! :eek:
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    I checked when I posted it... :eek:

Of course JackWhispers decided to post a petition to pursue the litigation....

Only 33 signatures there :p

Edit: Seems he's getting as pissed at TS as he did at MacWhispers, and he dug up enough dirt on Jack to get him shut down.
  10. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    Well he got some legal aid, some big ballas at that too.

11. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks for the update iJon.

"Think Secret's reporting is protected by the First Amendment," Gross said. "The Supreme Court has said that a journalist cannot be held liable for publishing information that the journalist obtained lawfully."

I'm not a lawyer, but it sure seems that way to me, otherwise I'm sure that the government would have Novak behind bars by now for exposing a government undercover agent.

And as I mentioned in one of the other threads on this subject, that federal felony offence sure seems a whole lot more serious than a company's trade secrets as it could cost someone their life.

IMHO Apple has someone high up with access to very sensitive info who is spilling the beans. This lawsuit is not the correct way to track that Benedict Arnold down.
  12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I think this will make it into an issue of: Did he obtain the information lawfully? It doesn't seem like it to me.