Think the Powermac G5 line will all quad?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MacTruck, Jan 17, 2006.

1. macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2005
    One Endless Loop
    Anyone think apple will come out with a quad 2.3hgz powermac before they transition to intel? How about the 2.5ghz quad price drop. When?
  2. macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    Well, after the Intel iMac you also have to ask the following question about any possible future PPC Powermac.

Who cares?

And, of much more inportance:-

Who in their right mind is going to buy one?

Until macworld i was sitting on the fence, now i am buying land in the Intel side and applying for planning permission.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Nov 1, 2005

quad price drop... hrm I'd say fall.
  4. macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    United States
    I doubt it.

This is why I got my Quad in December. Last fastest, most stable PPC Power Mac.
  5. macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    I'd say it would drop.

The MBP is now comparable and almost on par with the dual 2.0 for instance, and that for a tiny premium (it is a PORTABLE to boot).

Let's just say the current PM pricing are in a really intenable position, it will be just a matter of time before Apple slash prices on those to boost sales.
  6. macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    They would have to make the Powermac DAMN cheap before i spend any money on it.

Intel all the way for me!
  7. macrumors G4

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Remember when the G5 first came out in '03? They sold new single/dual 1.25GHz MDD G4 towers for a few months alongside the new G5s. I bet they do something similar with the last G5 towers. It probably will be a mid-spec (dual 2.3) machine at a slight discount, mostly just to get rid of inventory.

I don't think the Quad will be the last G5 on sale...probably one of the slower dual cores. But who knows? they might do another speed bump before the switch - look at what happened with the iMac. We all took that late fall speedbump to mean that it would be a while before the iMac went Intel, but that wasn't the case.