Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Anyone think apple will come out with a quad 2.3hgz powermac before they transition to intel? How about the 2.5ghz quad price drop. When?

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Well, after the Intel iMac you also have to ask the following question about any possible future PPC Powermac.

Who cares?

And, of much more inportance:-

Who in their right mind is going to buy one?

Until macworld i was sitting on the fence, now i am buying land in the Intel side and applying for planning permission.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
MacTruck said:
Anyone think apple will come out with a quad 2.3hgz powermac before they transition to intel? How about the 2.5ghz quad price drop. When?

quad price drop... hrm I'd say fall.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I'd say it would drop.

The MBP is now comparable and almost on par with the dual 2.0 for instance, and that for a tiny premium (it is a PORTABLE to boot).

Let's just say the current PM pricing are in a really intenable position, it will be just a matter of time before Apple slash prices on those to boost sales.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Remember when the G5 first came out in '03? They sold new single/dual 1.25GHz MDD G4 towers for a few months alongside the new G5s. I bet they do something similar with the last G5 towers. It probably will be a mid-spec (dual 2.3) machine at a slight discount, mostly just to get rid of inventory.

I don't think the Quad will be the last G5 on sale...probably one of the slower dual cores. But who knows? they might do another speed bump before the switch - look at what happened with the iMac. We all took that late fall speedbump to mean that it would be a while before the iMac went Intel, but that wasn't the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.