Thinkin of buying my 1st Mac, too

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hernan123, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Hernan123 macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2007

With my wife we need to buy a new laptop and we are pretty much set to buy a MacBook. I was thinking the 2GHz white one. If we do, this will be not only our first Apple computer but our first laptop too.

Before taking the plunge I would like to ask a couple of questions to the experts in this forum. Please enlighten this neophyte...

• PowerPoint: my wife needs to work with PowerPoint presentations, some times modifying her coworker's PowerPoint files. Does anybody have any good/bad experiences on using iWork for this?

• This is a silly one, but here it goes anyway. Connecting a MacBook to an LCD projector: painless or problematic?

• Upgrading the memory after the fact: is it feasible? I think 1GB is fine for now, but maybe in 2-3 years we will need to get some more RAM.

• Ditto for upgrading the OS. Can one skip an OS X release? For example, going from 10.4 to 10.6 in the future.

• AppleCare: I understand I have 1 year to buy it, right? Unless the machine was run over by a train, I suspect...

Thanks in advance for any clues you can send this way. Hopefully a couple years from now we will be able to replace the PC in our living room with an iMac.

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    1) You can use Microsoft Office for Mac. Or I believe you can also use, edit and save as powerpoint using Apples Keynote App. Part of iWork.

2) No problem at all. Im not sure of the connector you will need but if you look into it a little bit you will find its a case of plug in a cable and it will work.

3) Upgrading memeory is simple. Check out how to do it on Apples pages.

4) Yes you can skip upgrades. But I would recommend getting Leopard (10.5) when it comes out. (few months max).

5) Not sure about this one but someone will tell you. Applecare doesnt cover accidental damage but I dont know if there is a time limit to purchase it?
  3. j26 macrumors 65832

Mar 30, 2005
    1. You might be best getting MS Office for Mac if you're planning on collaborating on PowerPoint. Ketnote is far superior, but you want to be sure it works.

2. You will need either a Mini-DVI - DVI or a Mini-DVI - VGA adaptor to connect, depending on the projector you're working with. It's a painless process, and it should remember any tweaking to the settings you've done, so next time it's just plug and go. If you will be working on a variety of projectors, get both adaptors - they're only $19 each I think.

3. Memory is very easy to do. Whip out the battery, remove a panel, remove a stick and push the new one in.

4. Buying the next OS is purely a matter of choice. If the current one does what you want, then you never need to upgrade. I gather quite a few people here do what you're suggesting with no problems.

5. Yes. Just stay away from trains :)
  4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    You don't have to upgrade the OS but, unlike Windows, every upgrade so far has made Macs faster and Mac users more productive. In addition to the glitzy, user features (like Exposé or Spotlight) there are always numerous, under-the-hood improvements. On the other hand, I have not bothered to update iLife.

Also be aware that Office for Mac is not Universal. While most people say it runs acceptably, it will run better with more memory and there will be an upgrade to Office at some point. I keep a copy of Office for compatibility but, for my own use, I find the Mac alternatives superior. Best wishes.
  5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2004
    In my experience sharing PowerPoint files with PC users is a bit hit and miss. It's absolutely essential that the presentations use EXACTLY the same fonts, otherwise bullets can be different, sizes and spacing vary etc. As the Mac can use any PC font it's a simple matter of copying the fonts over, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Otherwise, I think the Mac's for you ;)
  6. strydr macrumors 6502

Mar 25, 2005
    You could also use Parallels, and run Windows for Powerpoint. I keep a VM of XP around to run Visio. Sux having to keep Windows for one app, but I need it, and there isn't a workable alternative.

As for Applecare, you can purchase it any time in the first year of ownership.
  7. MSM Hobbes macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2006
    NE Hoosierana
    Couple things to add to what has been offered so far...

a) OS X loves RAM - more the better; 1st thing I did was have Apple put in 2GB. In the end is was easier/cheaper - I believe that the MB comes w/ 1GB, but they are 512's each, so not much need for me to have them around or try to sell.

b) I've MS Office for Mac on both Apples, and it does work very good, quite compatible between my Apples and my Gateway work laptop.

c) Enjoy! :)
  8. Hernan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2007