Thinking about 24" imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by metalgearmac, Oct 1, 2006.

1. metalgearmac macrumors member

I really want a new 24" iMac I currently have a 2ghz 17" ppc imac with 1 gig and 160 gig full hadrdrive. I want to buy the new imac but i dont know if it will be enough of an upgrade or if I should wait until they put a new processor in it. I was also thinking about buying an external but I am holding off until I make up my mind on the new imac. Can anyone give me some buying advice or if they are going to put a new processor in the new imac in a month or two. Thanks

2. kondspi macrumors regular

kondspi

I read this whole article that said: "Keep the old computer and get it a new screen."

If you like your 17" iMac, just hook it up to a larger screen and you'll get the same-ish thing.

3. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

I wouldn't count on a new processor in the iMac in the next month or two. You might see a bump in the January/February timeframe, but it's unlikely Apple will rev this line prior to the holidays.

I, too, am planning on a 24" iMac sometime soon. Since I don't have an urgent need, I may wait until after Christmas.

4. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

They were just updated from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo, so I think it´s a good time to buy. At least I did

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

right. Apple probably is not going to upgrade this line until after the holiday season. the Core 2 Duos are the fastest processors out there for the iMac now.

6. metalgearmac thread starter macrumors member

I know the new core 2 duos are fasest for the imac but i have a feeling I will buy the 24" and then a month later a damn processor upgrade will come out

7. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

There won't be a processor upgrade for a while, but there will be a new platform (Santa Rosa) in Q1 '07. It will have improvements to power consumption/battery life, and performance.

8. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Not for a while surely? They were only updated three weeks ago. I saw the 24" iMac for the first time last weekend and it truly is a thing of beauty.

Kondspi speaks some sense though. Would a new screen satisfy your needs or do you really want/need the extra power that the C2D would give you. They are lightening quick with native apps and code crunching.

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

As mentioned above the iMac Core 2 Duo wont be getting even a speed bump until the Santa Rosa Meroms are released. Now is a safe time to buy an iMac, but if you are worried about an upgrade that will come in 5 to 6 months you'll never be buying.

So if you need it now buy it now, if you don't keep waiting, just don't wait for the sake of waiting.

BTW the performance jump from a single core G5 2.0 GHz to a dual core 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo mobile will be massive depending on what you do with the machine.

10. metalgearmac thread starter macrumors member

ok thank you very good answer

11. Josephkyles macrumors regular

12. bossass macrumors regular

No you won't. You'll get a cartoony mirrored image, which is as waste of the 17 inches you already have. Get the 24 and you'll be happy. I promise.

13. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

without wanting to highjack this thread, Im about to buy either a 24 or 20 inch imac, and am particularly interested in their ability to handle high def video. Do you think that i should get the gpu upgrade for either?

14. metalgearmac thread starter macrumors member

You might as well if I was buying you might as well just go for it for best results

15. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Both machines can handle 1080p H.264 MP4s with the default video cards. I have a 20" and since I don't play 3D games on it I didn't bother upgrading the video RAM (if they offered better video not just more RAM in the 20" I would've upgraded). If I decided to go with the 24" I definitely would've upgraded the video because it isn't just a RAM upgrade it's a much better video card.