Thinking about buing a Powerbook...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by elensil, Sep 7, 2005.

1. elensil macrumors regular

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn, NY
    My wife is thinking about buying a powerbook. The current rumors predict new ones on Sept 20th, we would be happy to get a new one if they come out.

Right now Apple is offering an educational deal with powerbooks, if you buy a powerbook and ipod mini, you recieve a rebate for mini. ($179) value.

The last date for offer is Sept 24, do you think that new powerbooks would not be available untill Sept 25, so they would not be covered by this offer.

This way they can sell a lot of old powerbooks and old mini's.

Thank you for your input
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Generally speaking, your guesses have been correct with respect to past offers; Apple's promotions usually run out before new products are released, and it's not unusual for them to have a promotion near the end of a product's life cycle.

That doesn't guarantee that will be the case this time, as there have been plenty of promotions that were extended or ended well before a new product actually ships, so don't get too confident that new PBs will be shipping on the 25th. It could be, but it could also be October, November, or even Macworld in January before new products are released.

Remember, for example, that they just discontinued the iPod Mini entirely, well in advance of Sept 24th, so who's to say that the offer wasn't to clear out Mini stock before the Nano shipped?

Personally, if I didn't mind a new iPod and weren't waiting for an Intel PB, I'd just get one now and be happy with it. Maybe wait until Paris just to make sure, but the waiting game is often a losing one.
  3. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    My guess is that you're mostly correct.

I think Apple will be releasing new Pbooks once the sale ends... i mean why else would they attempt to clear out inventory.

I also think they won't yet be intel books, unless apple reaaaally wants to surprise people. I think the first intel computer will be a powermac, and that will be in Q1 2006.

I'm personally waiting until the end of september to buy a 'book.
  4. VicMacs macrumors 6502

Sep 7, 2003
    Dominican Republic
    ditto... wait it out.... but if by sep 30 theyre not here,... buy one
  5. Ikstej24 macrumors regular

Dec 11, 2004
  6. NeXTLoop macrumors member

Jul 22, 2003
    Of course using that logic, that means they would also being getting ready for an iBook update since the promo is with the iBook as well. Of course we know that's not going to happen, since they just updated the iBook.
  7. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2005
    Deepest Regions of Hell
    dont think about buying a Powerbook just DO wont be disapointed...
  8. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    WRONG. Most likely, the first Intel computer will be a PowerBook, because Apple is interested in Intel's low power-consumption. Most people think a Yonah Pentium M (dual core) in the PowerBooks could appear 'round WWDC '06 (summer). Definitely not Q1, definitely not PowerMac first. It's unlikely we'll ever see a PowerMac with a Pentium 4 in it. Much more likely that we'll see Intel PowerMacs sporting the Pentium M-derived desktop chip that should hit in '07.
  9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    Exactly. Stop thinking and get buying. Like I've said before, there is always an upgrade around the corner. The upgrade to the PB line, if it does happen, I'm skeptical about it. A small speed boost perhaps? Its not going to be ground breaking.