thinking about buying a 17" powerbook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tekmoe, Sep 16, 2005.

  1. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    #1
    i reaaaaally want one. but i do not need one. i just have this incredible urge to shell out my cold hard cash to get one. i'd like to sell off my 15" and get the 17" to say i have the biggest baddest mother of them all. at that point, i don't see myself wanting to upgrade for a couple of years at least...but then again, i told myself that when i bought this 15" 6 months ago!@!@#!@#$#@$

    i am waiting until tuesday to see if there will be new powerbooks...even though ThinkSecret seems to indicate there will NOT be. =(

    after tuesday, i may not be able to control my urge anymore...i may have to do it...
     
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

    Chundles

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    #2
    Do it, you sound like you can afford it so why not? The 17" is awesome, so do it.
     
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #3
    I think that if I just purchased a 15" PowerBook six months ago, I would wait. It should last you until the Rev B PowerBooks are available. Why not invest the money that you have now and be ready for the best then?
     
  4. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    Location:
    PA
    #4
    I totally agree with wdlove, since you already have a brand new 15", wait for the update!!!
     
  5. tekmoe thread starter macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    #5
    something tells me though that after i get the 17", i will be satisfied and won't want to upgrade for a long time. for some reason, i feel like i should have bought the 17" to begin with.

    i bought 12" super about a month ago for my gf and i get to toy around with that when i need to take it with me to do dj gig's and stuff. the 17" would be the big boy for mainly home use or coffee shop stylin'.

    let this be a lesson to all...get what your heart desires. don't go cheap like i did! =(
     
  6. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    Location:
    PA
    #6
    If you would sell the 15" to get the 17", I say go for it!!!!! If you're pining over the 17" and can afford it, just do it!!!!
     
  7. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

    AJ Muni

    Joined:
    Aug 4, 2005
    Location:
    Miami
    #7
    i think its stupid if u just bought a 15''....just wait dude...think about it...atleast until MWSF
     
  8. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

    TheMonarch

    Joined:
    May 6, 2005
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #8
    I'll be on the other end... GET IT DUDE... AWSOME!!! SEE SIG...













    WARNING THOUGH, ONCE YOU GO 17, YOU'LL NEVER GO BACK, TRUST ME. EVERYTHING WLL JUST BE TOO SMALL... :D :D :D :D
     
  9. devastator777 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    New York City
    #9
    Defintely get the 17 inch PB but...

    I was in your situation before but the result was different, I got the 17 inch and never looked back. I had a 12 inch pb combo drive but was sad when my ex took it. I love the 17 incher but get ready to work out its pretty heavy....



    Dual 867 PM with 22 inch ACD and a 17 inch ACD, 17 inch PB 1.5 gigers, 60 gb ipod, 20 gb ipod (old school), Bang and Olufsen Beolab 3.
     
  10. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

    bodeh6

    Joined:
    May 18, 2005
    #10
    I plan on getting a 17" PB in about 3 years when I finish college. By then we should be at Rev C or D Mactel and have OS X 10.6 or 10.7. That will be a hot computer :)
     
  11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #11

    True only to an extent. I'm always flipping between my 17 inch iMac and 12 inch iBook without any problems. It just means you have to get used to using Exposé more. :)
     
  12. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

    Kobushi

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    Location:
    Right behind you.
    #12
    I would at least wait until the 20th just in case some Apple exec that isn't Steve Jobs pulls an update out of his um...."universal orifice of knowledge"
     
  13. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #13
    You wouldn't be gaining enough of a performance increase to make it worth spending that much on another G4 single processor again this late in the game.


    You would be far better off keeping your 15" and
    purchasing a really nice external display or buying an iMac G5 2.0 Ghz.

    You're 15" should hold you well past the Rev B
    dual core Intel based models which should have
    a considerableperformance increase over anything anyone has available today.
     
  14. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

    powerbook911

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #14
    Sometimes, as people, we want to do something fun. Sometimes it doesn't make sense.

    If your heart is set on a 17-inch, you might consider it. Your 15-inch will still go for very good value on ebay, so it will be just a few hundred you're out.

    However, I think you should wait until the next update. Then you'll be getting the benefits of the refresh too.
     

Share This Page