Thinking about buying a G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iWantAMac, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. iWantAMac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2003
    Location:
    AUS
    #1
    I've been wanting to buy a Mac for making music for a long time now. The Dual 1.8GHz G5 is more than what I want to spend, and the 1.6GHz G5 is, well, I'm not sure... I was thinking about getting a Dual 1.25GHz G4 ($2,849.00AUD) and now I've thought about the 1.6GHz G5. I always had the opinion that the 1.6GHz G5 was a bit of a waste of time/money, but that was when comparing it to the other G5s... Now that I'm comparing it to the G4, it is a harder choice to make. Is the G5 worth the extra $350AUD?
    I'd be running Pro Tools LE.

    What do you think?
     
  2. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

    FightTheFuture

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    Location:
    that town east of ann arbor
    #2
    absolutely. i'm still amazed at the performance of the 1.6 to my dual 1ghz. why make a purchase on something that doesn't perform to a system that is basically so close to your reach.

    of course they are still working some bugs at digidesign. check out their site under support and take a look at some of the disclaimer regarding the G5 1.6's PCI cards.
     
  3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

    crazzyeddie

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    Florida, USA
    #3
    I would highly recommend getting a dual machine. Even if its "only" the Dual 1.25, it will still be faster than the G5 1.6 in the long run (until 64-bit of course).

    If i were you, and wanted the best bang for my buck, that new 1.8 Dual is the best deal currently. You can expand the heck out of the machine and upgrade the RAM out the ears.
     
  4. iWantAMac thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2003
    Location:
    AUS
    #4
    If I could buy the Dual 1.8 machine for what you guys in the States can get it for, I would definitely consider it. But over here, that machine costs $4,399AUD, whereas you pay $3,469AUD for it.
    I'd really want that machine, but it would take a while for me to save $4399 with all the other **** I have to spend money on.
     
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

    crazzyeddie

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    Florida, USA
    #5
    Then why not buy it from a US dealer and have it shipped over there. It can't be that much for shipping...
     
  6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

    MoparShaha

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #6
    Well, I was going through the same decision you are, and got the Dual G4. It is so fast, you won't be dissapointed. And many benchmarks show it is faster than the 1.6 G5.
     
  7. Nermal Moderator

    Nermal

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2002
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #7
    Remember, if you want to run VPC or OS9 then the G4 is your only option. Also, if you order from the US, bear in mind that the warranty is only valid in the US, unless you also buy AppleCare.

    I'm about to get a single 1.25 G4, as soon as I've sold my iBook.
     
  8. iWantAMac thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2003
    Location:
    AUS
    #8
    Yeah, I think if I did buy from the US, I would definitely get AppleCare. Would there be any other differences between the machines sold in the US to the G4s over here?

    Will you be buying you G4 locally?
     
  9. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

    manitoubalck

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2003
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #9
    While still expencive @ $2,800AUD the Twin G4 is a better buy since you can add a second optical drive and 3 extra harddrives. Also if you get the G4 make sure you get a Radeon 9600 or better or nVidia equalivent, since any lesser cards are discontinued in the PC world hence not worth buying.
     
  10. iWantAMac thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2003
    Location:
    AUS
    #10
    Why? If it does the job for me, what does it matter?
     
  11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #11
    Couldn't have put it better myself. I actually just ordered a new 17" iMac, and I could care less if a G5 iMac is coming out soon, if I'm going to be "stuck with a G4", if the video card is "only" a FX5200... It does everything I need it to, and more, and will for the next 3 years. :cool:
     
  12. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

    manitoubalck

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2003
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #12
    If you wish to buy left overs or sub standard products be my guest.
     
  13. cazlar macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2003
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #13
    I'm not sure of this at all, but I seem to recall something about modems having to be compatible with Aus standards. (Of couse, if you're on broadband it doesn't matter either way)
     
  14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #14
    What exactly are you referring to with this ambiguous post? Please elaborate...
     
  15. iWantAMac thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2003
    Location:
    AUS
    #15
    I've (sorta) made a decision... I'm just going to wait a bit longer and get apersonal loan so I can get the Dual 1.8Ghz G5. Either that or I won't wait as long and I'll buy a DAW from Stealthaudiosystem.com.au - Thing is I've ben wanting to switch for so long, and would really like to have a Mac.
     
  16. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

    manitoubalck

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2003
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #16
    The graphics cards, R9000, GeForceTi, and GeForce FX 5200, are discontinued products on this side of the fence, also think for $300AUD you can buy a radeon 9600Por so when spending close to $3000 it seems a small pirce to pay for a much better product.
     
  17. true777 macrumors 6502a

    true777

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2000
    Location:
    California, Austria, Arkansas
    #17
    To me, both a dual 1.25 G4 and a 1.6 G5 sound more than adequate for your needs. And I don't think you need an expensive, super-fancy graphics card if your focus is on making music. Buying a lower-priced unit will allow you to replace it sooner (say, after 3 years rather than 4), which will be a very good thing! Just my 2c.
     
  18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

    ~Shard~

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2003
    Location:
    1123.6536.5321
    #18
    Just because those graphic cards are discontinued and there are bigger and better cards out there, I would not call them sub-standard. My new iMac comes with a FX5200, and since I won’t be playing any games, this will actually be overkill for me! I don’t care if it’s the latest or greatest out there, because it suits my needs. Hell, on my existing PC I still have a 32 MB GeForce 2 in it, and it does everything I need it to – I’ve never had one problem, nor do I have any complaints – and I make music as well. As long as my screen is being displayed nicely so I can see what I’m doing, that’s all I need!

    If you want to spend more money on a better graphics card just because it’s new and has more power, go right ahead. I suppose some people also like buying Ferraris just to drive around the block…

    I completely agree - it all depends what you are using your machine for. I would have to go with True777 on this and say a Dual G4 or a 1.6 G5 will be more than adequate for you, but that’s just my $0.02 as well. I guess between True777 and myself, now we have $0.04. ;)
     

Share This Page