Thinking about buying a MacBook

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by semaja2, Jun 24, 2006.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys i used to do some animation with 3dsMax and was thinking about getting back into it for a bit, could someone see if it runs reasonable under windows on a MacBook.

PS. my only concern is the onboard graphics, would it be more powerful then my current

My current PC is:

2.13ghz Athlon 2600+
    512mb ram
    geforce 4mx (intergrated)

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Well, if you already run this application on that PC, then it should run fine on a MacBook. The specs on the MacBook should allow you to run circles around your current computer. My advice would be to buy as much RAM as you can afford though.

Of course, you could always opt for a MacBook Pro if you think that you will need more muscle than the MacBook offers.

:)

3. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well money is a issue there :p

Do you thing the next byte stores in Australia will allow me to test out 3dsmax on windows on a MacBook?

Also i know this is the wrong forum but what are some of the problems that are on teh MacBooks

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Gotcha, then you should be okay if you just go with the MacBook.

Not familiar with this chain of stores. I guess that you could always ask to do so (the worst they can say is no). :eek:

Some models seem to be affected by a "moo" like sound.

5. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Well the GMA950 isn't that bad - from what I can gather it is about equal to a geforce fx5600. In terms of raw performance it should best at least your current gpu, in windows it will support direct x 9.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That and when coupled with either a 1.83GHz or 2GHz Core Duo, the GMA950 should perform okay.

7. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I play the Sims 2 plus EPs on my MacBook (it drowns out that annoying "tick" sound). They run better than what they did on my 12" Powerbook so maybe that gives you some indication of the graphics card.

Don't expect too much from Next Byte, they're not that familiar with Macs (actually I'm yet to find any Apple Reseller who is). I'd say take it in and try it out. Tell them you will only consider purchase if you can test it out.

Yes the MacBooks do have some quirks like the moo, and in my case "tick", you may get a dud or a good one. Apple's quality control has certainly taken a dive the past few years. I don't think waiting for a next revision model will change that.