Thinking about buying a scooter

Discussion in 'Community' started by csubear, Aug 12, 2005.

1. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Hi there every one, I was wondering if I could get some feed back from people who have purchased a scooter to do their work commute.

I recently moved to the valley of the sun (Phoenix,AZ) from cleveland, ohio, and am trying to adjust to life down here.

I was thinking about getting a bicycle to ride to work, (i live about 4-5 miles for work) but being realistic Its not something that I could do in the hot Phoenix summers. I don't think I could do it. I'd get hot a tried.. and wouldn't keep with it.

But.. a scooter may be a solution. Right now I drive my car(i have 2, one for me; one for the wife), and with the rising gas prices, it just doesn't seem like a good asset to hold on too. A scooter gets good gas milage, is cheap, and much better for the environment.

So thats my motive,

What I would like to know:

I was looking at a 50cc scooter from honda, will that be enough power? The speed limits on the roads to work are 35 (no hill's Phoenix is very flat), but people in Phoenix seem to think 40 is okay. Will i be able to keep up?

Does any one know what the arizona law are concerning scooter? I checked the Arizona motor vehicle site but couldn't find anything.

What kinda of insurance coverage do i need? What should I be expecting a 12 month premium to be?

What kind of helmet laws are there?

Do i need a motorcycle endorsement?

I'd welcome any feed back from anyone who's tried to use a scooter for their daily life.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I thought the MVD site would be clear, it's not...

Probably some more sites just as clear on AZ Law as the FAQs from this Tucson site

http://www.goscootover.com/faq.html

Of course it's not clear on the cutoff between on engine size for requiring a motorcycle endorsment. :(

Check to see if Phoenix has a

http://www.ci.mesa.az.us/police/literature/transportation_devices.asp

Laws are generally the same in any case, except for the motorized skateboard and the like which have been outlawed in some cities.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

If I could take a scooter the 11-some miles to school, I totally would.

Scooters are cool.

Rock on if your state laws allow scooterdom! :)

4. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

If I may...I can do nothing but recommend a Vespa to you. You might pay a little more for it, but in the end, all will be worth it. Good luck!

5. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

Thanks for the info guys, right now I am just doing some research. I am looking at honda's right now. But I'll check out the vespa's.

Is there any one out there that rides a scooter to work right now?

6. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Not totally sure about Arizona, but here in Maine (and in a lot of other states) if the scooter is 50cc or under it is considered a Moped and is legal to drive on the roads as long as it has lights etc. Also, no motorcycle license is needed, just a regular driver's license. Also, here in maine, if the scooter can go more than 30mph it is illegal to drive as a "moped". Here is one to look at btw, definetly good on the environment, watch the vids, they are pretty cool.

eGo Bike

7. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

oooh, that ebike is really cool! I want one of those! thanks for the link.

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I WANT ONE!

*digs through pockets*
    I have 34 cents. Is that enough?

It'd look awesome with a big, white apple sticker on it.. :D

9. sprstu macrumors member

sprstu

yamaha zuma. 40mph, 65mpg, 49cc, macho tires and fenders.

10. reberto macrumors 65816

reberto

Segway

I think Segways are Sweet. Plus they go prefect with a 12' powerbook!

11. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

eGo Bike's... taking the athletic aspect out of riding a bike :rolleyes:

12. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

Started to look around some more, and it just seems like 50cc isn't going to cut it. Car's travel quite fast on the streets here in Phoenix. The speed limit is 35, but that doesn't stop people from driving 40-45.

I am now looking at three different models.

A 150cc Vespa ET4 (kinda expensive, high quality, maybe to much of an engine?)
    A 120cc Yamaha (cheap, ??? quality)
    A 80cc Honda (same price as the yamaha, honda quality, ??? top speed and power)

Any one own any of these?

13. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Keep in mind that getting a machine with more than 50cc is probably going to require a motorcycle license, in which case, you might as well get a cheap motorcycle. Decent gas mileage, and on top of that they are WAY cooler. As much as I like scooters, motorcycles are even better.

And, as far as the eGo taking away any atheltics out of bike riding, it's true. But, it doesn't matter to me seeing as regardless of if I had one or not (I don't have money for one) I ride my mountain bike every day/every other day (depending on what time of day I work) on the trails for about 30-60 minutes. So I'm pretty sure I get plenty of exercise. As for the other people...you're probably right, no exercise lol.

14. Rethin macrumors newbie

Check out a segway. You don't ride it in the street, just on the sidewalk. But in some ways its much more veristile than a gas powered scooter.

For your commute distance it sounds perfect.

Its a bit more expensize than a scooter at the outset, but you save money over time with matainence, gas, insurance etc.

Plus, because you are a pedestrian you are never stuck in traffic. :)

www.segway.com

Rethin

15. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

16. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

My dad has a 150cc ET4 Vespa scooter (also available in a 50cc and larger models) and takes it to work everyday (with his powerbook) when there's no rain or snow. The ET2 also sounds like it would suit your needs well. In Massachusetts, the ET2 does NOT require a motorcycle license, where as the 4 is big enough to be classified as a motorcycle. However, he got a his permit by simply taking a written test after glancing over the manual in the parking lot for 5 minutes. In MA, you can keep the permit for up to 2 years without actually taking a physical riding test. Helmets ARE required here. The Vespas have some very nice features (although I'm not sure of what else is available) like CVT trans, large storage, electric push start, good instrumentation w/fuel gage, etc. Not to mention that Italian styling. He claims to get around 40-50 mpg, and said he has never paid more than $5 to fill it up. The 150's can reach about 65 mph but are not recommended for highway use.

Definitely don't hesitate to PM me with any questions, as he loves it when anyone asks about it!

17. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

Just to update any one who was following this thread;

I ended up buying a Derbi Boulevard. It has the same engine as the vespa 150cc. I love it. I have 200 mile on it now and have used a little over 3 gallons of gas!.

Here are some pictures

http://homepage.mac.com/s.laing/PhotoAlbum4.html

18. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

So, in AZ do you need a license for that thing? (other than regular driver's license)

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

20. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I would be ok with that if it wasn't for winter here in maine. Although I guess from around end of april to beginning of november you could do it.

21. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My wife has an ET4 as well - it's a great fuel efficient bike - and for a scooter it hauls @$$. The et2 also is very peppy. If you're going the scooter route go with Vespa - you'll pay more but the quality is there - smooth, cheap to fill, sturdy quality. And for your health - wear a helmet. I know several people who have wiped out - 3 are either brain damaged, slightly off or unable to concentrate anymore - not to mention the massive scarring on their heads where hair won't grow back.

22. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

for the money you'll spend on a scooter, buy an old full sized motorcycle- the maintenance is stupidly easy. plus you'll have the option of longer trips- more versatile.

23. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

yes

24. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Thats what I figured. If I was going to bother spending that much $$ and had to get a motorcycle license anyway, I would just get a small bike instead. Like a Nighthawk or something.