Thinking about going back to school... IT people help me out

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furryrabidbunny, Sep 26, 2006.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I've been out of school for about a year... and I've found out that nothing I took in school and my degree (liberal arts) is helping me. For about five months I taught application classes, but people drove me insane. While working though, I was exposed to the world of IT (helped out the IT guy), and I enjoyed it. There was no position for me to take in the IT department, so I quit my job and I am no unemployed. Every job out there that I am qualified for is data entry or general work at insurance companies and stuff like that. The pay isn't bad... but I don't like doing it. I am thinkign about going back to school for information technology. I am thinking about doing it at a local community college. Out here they aren't as big as a joke (they are actually respected) and the teachers are good. What I am wondering though is would it help me. http://bii.mc.maricopa.edu/degrees/netadmin.htm This site has the requirements for the two year degree... is this the kind of stuff I'd want to learn and would it help me find a job?

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

That is almost the exact same class I took, which landed me my first job. I think chances are good that you can find a job with that behind you, I just don't know in what part of the profession.

I graduated from a similar class (PC/LAN was the title) back in 1999. But 1999 was a totally different time, as that is still when the .com explosion was occurring, and also the dreaded (in windows world) Y2K .

I am not sure how the entry level market in your area is currently, however I know in MN you can find a fair paying job with reasonable hours with a certificate style education.

3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

(Fifteen year IT vet here, currently Regional IT Director for a F500 company.)

What kind of job are you interested in?

If it's entry-level (call center, help desk) they're looking for practical, hands on experience or some kind of entry-level cert like A+ or Net+. I'd hire a guy that interviews well with a lot of practical experience over a "career changer" who got an associates degree in some IT field. One guy has it in his blood, the other thought it'd be a "cool" career. Sorry, that's the practical manager in me talking.

Now, for an administrative position, say a manager, that's different. I'm looking for someone with an undergraduate degree in IT who's also skilled in management. This is someone who manages the IT gearheads with, at the minimum, some superficial IT experience to know the lay of the land.

In either case, you might have a tough road ahead. You're going to probably have to break in through some crummy call center jobs, learning as you go. Once you have some practical, hands on experience, then you're more likely to get something better.

The reality is that in 2000 we (IT managers) were overloaded with "paper" IT "experts" without practical experience. Thus the value of certs or associates degrees are minimal, IMO. I look for real-world experience and someone who has IT in their blood, not a career changer.

Hope this helps.

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I was the default tech guy for my office, which I always enjoyed more than my actual job (graphic design), so I decided to get certification and go into the field full-time. Would you consider me a career-switcher or a guy who really digs it and wants to do it?

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Depends on what's on your resume. If there are no IT-related jobs listed and the job you're applying for is IT then the "career changer" flag goes up. Also, is it the first job post-cert?

In the actual interview is where it's at for me; I learn a lot about a person just speaking with them. It's pretty easy to tell the paper cert from the person who lives and breathes the stuff. (Just like if you were to, say, interview me for a graphic design position, I'd imagine.) :)

6. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

no, not IT per se, though I did all the maintenance/backup/software&hardware install/networking stuff for my little part of the world. But I am a career changer...who am I kidding. ;)

you don't want a graphic design position...believe me. The pay sucks and the job opportunities are slim indeed.

7. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

See... thats my exact problem. I have experience, just nothing you can put down on a resume. I am wanting to go for this because I experienced it in the workplace and enjoyed it. I had the pratical experience of doing minor repair at home and work, reimaging laptops, etc. The problem with what he was saying and what is the problem with almost any job opening out there is everyone is looking for experience and no one is offering jobs that help gain experience. Everyone has to start somewhere, the problem is no one wants to offer that start (some sort of entry level position). Great example is a job I applied for starting at eight dollars an hour only (less than half of what I used to make). It wsa for a company that fixes old computers and laptops. It was titled entry level/internship position, but to qualify they were looking for someone A+ certified, with three years experience repairing computer. Who the f*** would take that job if you were that experienced... that job fits someone still in highschool trying to gain experience.

8. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

A cover letter that's as honest as the first three sentences in your last post might go further than you think toward getting you an interview ...