Thinking about going to MWSF 2006 in January...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Clix Pix, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I'm seriously thinking about doing this. I've never been to one before and I've also never been to SF. Is it worth the time and the money? I'd be flying from the East Coast (Mid-Atlantic state) and probably would stay a full week so that I could do the "touristy" thing while out there in SF, not just attend MWSF. Of course I'd also like to do a side trip to Cupertino to visit "the Mothership!"

Anyone who has "done" MWSF in the past have any good tips and suggestions for me?

OTB

2. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Lucky!

Wow I would most diffenitly do that if I had the money. I (obviously) havnt been to one yet so I cant give you any advice. You will get to see the Stevenote in all its glory! :D

3. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I can't say whether or not MacWorld would be worth it (my guess is yes...), but San Francisco alone is worth it. It's one of my favorite cities to visit. Definitely a good place to go for a "touristy" trip, with plenty to see and do.

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I think I've posted this in another thread, but Other World Computing is offering free exhibit hall passes to MacWorld SF:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Macworld/

Just print out the pass and use the code to pre-register, or just bring it with you on the day of the show. Of course, this pass doesn't get you into the Keynote or any of the workshops, but you can easily spend a couple of days happily wandering the exhibit hall floor.

5. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Go dude! If you can go don't second guess yourself. I have never been, but I would love to be able to go. My dad's friend who used to work at Stanford University said he had gone a few times while still living in San Francisco. He is back in Texas to take care of his mom and dad, but he said that if he happened to still be living in California that he would fly me out to MWSF. Family comes first, but they would be awesome.

6. aquajet macrumors 68020

Go go go!!! I remember going to MWNY a few years ago. My father and I took the train, and met up with some friends at the expo. It was great fun, and I went home with a few new toys. :cool:

7. Clix Pix thread starter macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I did it! I registered today...

Thought about it some more and finally just said, "OK, let's DO it!" Wheeee! I registered for the "Users Conference," which will get me into the Keynote and other functions as well as allowing me four days to wander around the Exhibits. After that I booked my hotel (the Argent) and then booked my airline tickets and I'm good to go! I'll be out there a week so that I will have time to do some sight-seeing and to get together with friends who live in the area.

Oh, I'm excited! It's been a long time since I have had a real vacation so this is a big treat to myself...

OTB

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

MacWorld can be good exhausting fun. Frankly I found it to be more enjoyable a few years ago, possibly because it's becoming more dominated by the iPod, or possibly because I'm getting to the point where being on my feet all day is a bit of an effort. The last couple of years I attended only Tuesday and Wednesday. One thing you must do, if you are going all that way, is buy a complete conference pass, so you can get into the keynote and any other training sessions which might catch your fancy.

I'm not sure a drive to Cupertino is worth the time (it's not really that close), unless you like the feeling of "being there." In reality the Apple corporate campus is much like any other corporate campus. Yaaaawn. You can buy logo merchandise at the company store, though. Worth the trip? Probably not -- especially considering all the other sights to see in San Francisco.