Thinking about selling iMac G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CrEsTo, Jul 5, 2006.

  1. CrEsTo macrumors 6502


    Jun 23, 2006
    Thinking about getting a new 20" iMac. What do you think is a fair price for my iSight G5 iMac?

    17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5 Ram.

    Bought it in October and it's in perfect condition.
  2. sjpetry macrumors 65816


    Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    My guess would be around $1000. I'll check eBay...
  3. joshwest macrumors 65816


    Apr 27, 2005
    Just a little advice, i have a 20" iMac 2.0 G5 really great machine loaded it out with 2 gigs of ram.. and a upgrade isnt in my future till they beef up the iMac with a little faster intel processor then i think its worth it.. Seeing as you have a 17" 1.9 i would be satisfied with it till another year or so.. id wait it out. My reasoning behind it cause i have both a MB and MBP and the 2.0 dual core is very nice but if im gonna shell out the cash id rather my dekstop be faster than my lappys.. But if you dont plan on buying another computer for 3-4 years then a upgrade is justified. just my .02
  4. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005
    Contrary I'd sell now if I can still get $1000 for it on eBay.

    The prices and functionality of the old G5 can only go down as time goes on, and right now there are actually people who still need PPC macs. Further down the road the price might just bottom out on these as Intel macs become more common and start appearing alongside the older PPC variants on eBay.

    Put it this way, you can sell it now and for $299 (or $100+ under EDU pricing) get the latest and greatest. Why not?

    Edit: I believe that with the Intel switch, the myth of "Macs holding their resale value" will finally end.
  5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn


    Mar 23, 2005
    That still depends on the update cycles and Apple's refurb pricing.

Share This Page