thinking about selling my old pc for a mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Scene' started by bryantm3, Feb 8, 2004.

1. bryantm3 macrumors regular

so.. how much is this thing worth?
    4o gig hard drive
    256 mb memory
    windows xp home edition
    3 usb 1.1 ports (1 on front)
    1 parralel port
    17" crt monitor (power switch on it broken)
    3 firewire 800 ports
    3 firewire 400 ports
    3 USB 2.0 ports
    thinking about installing bluetooth for sale..
    with small dekstop speakers
    worth?

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

It will depend completely on the processor speed. I just did did a quick look on Ebay and 2ghz P4 systems tend to go for $300 or less. That's barely enough to get a 5 year old iMac. I saw a lot of 3ghz systems going for $600-$700 but that will still get you a 3 year old G4 PowerMac or an older G4 iMac.
    Those are all great Macs, but the used price usually shocks switchers. "What, a 3 year old Mac costs so much?" "What, my 2 year old PC is only worth that much?" You probably won't be able to sell the PC for the price of a Mac, but you can probably get a healthy amount saved up toward the purchase of one.

3. bryantm3 thread starter macrumors regular

yesh,
    intel pentium 4.. clocks in at... 1.60 GHz

4. bryantm3 thread starter macrumors regular

you have got to be kidding me.
    i was hoping for at least 600.
    i mean, firewire 800, most macs don't even have that yet.

5. bryantm3 thread starter macrumors regular

6. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

7. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I am forced to agree.

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Sorry to hit you with reality, but PC values go down very very fast.

I have to agree with the $200-$300 range being about right. Unfortunately it gets worse--that's $200-$300 if you can find a buyer. Used PCs isn't exactly a seller's market. Look at all the systems on Ebay priced in that range that have no bids.

Firewire 800 isn't going to sway anybody to pay more, unfortunately. Right now there are so few devices using it that nobody cares.

Do you have any special hardware on it? You may make more parting it out than selling it whole.

9. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

Most people do not want to buy a used computer. If someone is going to get a computer, why not spend a bit more and get one with a warranty and one that's guaranteed not to have scratches and wear on it. Sorry! Maybe if you just upgrade the processor (if you can), the price will go up much more.

10. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I hope to welcome you over to the family soon. Regarding the PC, to be honest, what did you expect? PC's are dirt cheap so they won't have a great resale value. Macs differ cus often people collect them. Many members on this forum proudly own several macs.
    Hopefully though you'll find a poor soul to take your PC

11. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I wouldn't. To upgrade the processor he'd probably have to get a new motherboard as well and to get up to a speed that anybody was willing to pay anything for he'd have to spend a fair amount himself. It is not likely he'd make a profit.

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

what's the video card?

still, i agree with others that you won't get much for it, if you can sell it to begin with. the processor is too old for it to be a gaming box. and if someone wanted a low powered computer, they can get a brand new one from dell for $500.

btw, don't bother upgrading for the sale. i think it's a lost cause and will just drain your wallet. upgrade if you want to keep it yourself for a bit longer.

i'd just save for an eMac, refurb, if necessary.

13. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

You could always donate it somewhere for a tax deduction....a less direct route, to be sure, but probably the only way you'll get a higher price for it.

That's the double-edged sword of Dell "innovation" in cheap PCs: consumers don't think PCs should cost more than $500 to $600 anymore, even new. So they're not going to shell out much for a used one, and think Macs are overpriced.

14. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

would only work if you itemize...

15. bryantm3 thread starter macrumors regular

i don't have a dell.. my pc is custom made by me and this company down the road.

16. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

I'd probably bump the memory to 512 at least, for selling purposes.

The 40gig HD is also a bit small, so you may just have to market the PC as a "web/email" computer. I wouldn't bet on selling it for that much at all online so try posting this at a local grocery store or asking through the channels.

The reason PCs sell cheap is the same reason home builders can make 2-3 year systems at around 500bucks for every refresh period. Home building wouldn't be this popular if it wasn't cheaper.