Thinking about upgrading from MBA Rev A

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Maui19, Oct 26, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

I am thinking about upgrading from my MBA Rev A which I've had for nearly 5 years. This is by far the longest I've had a CPU, and it is still filling my needs fairly well. I do wish that it ran vids better and didn't run so hot, but I've never had such a reliable computer.

So I'm thinking about upgrading and have some questions. The first is about speed. I'm assuming I'll get a big bump in speed. Can anyone give me an idea how much faster the current MBA is than my old Rev A?

Configuration: I'm going with the 13" and 128GB SSD. Coming from my 64GB SSD, 128GBs will seem huge. I plan to use an SD drive for backup and additional storage. The question is RAM: I am leaning toward getting the 8GB upgrade. I use the MBA mostly for Internet, music, video, email etc. However this is my "road" computer, so from time to time I have a need to use Dreamweaver, Photoshop, InDesign and VM Fusion. Is 4GB good enough or will I do better with 8?

Lastly, I am hoping the new MBA runs MUCH cooler, without the attendant fan noise. True?

Thanks for your help!

2. macrumors 68030

needfx

got the MBA11', 2011, my road machine as well, accompanied by an ipad3 as extra monitor. Doesn't really run very hot, unless overworked with all the CS6 suite running, 3 browsers, win7 & xp virtual machines.

You should be just fine.

3. macrumors 601

5 year is a big jump, so yes, it will make a noticeable difference.

The reason it runs hot probly because you are running 2007 hardware with 2011/2011 software. The latest software tend to require more horsepower. Also web pages get more complicated all the time, again asking for more horsepower from your machine.

I have a 2011, Surfing is cpu cool 46 degrees, I can't hear the fan at all. CPU gets up to 76 degree when I run a video, but still runs pretty quiet, case gets warm but not hot.

8G if u can swing it, but the occasional home photoshop what not, 4G should be OK if ur on a budget.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

...the Rev A had problems with overheating from day one. But you're right, things didn't get easier for the machine in the last five years.

5. macrumors member

I think you should get the extra RAM if you can afford it. You're gonna be using some intensive programs.

You will notice a huge speed bump from your current Air. I have relied on my 2007 iMac for 5 years and adding my 2012 Air has given me a more reliable setup, although I tend to use my Air more.

6. macrumors 604

You could probably get by with 4GB, but 8GB would be a much better option, especially if you're going to be using it for another five years.

7. macrumors regular

Absolutely! I used to have the rev A too and now using the 13" Mid 2012, so first hand experience. :D