THinking ahead with Boot Camp = BAD (two preexisting partitions)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tallest, Apr 5, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2006
    I am very excited about being able to install windows on my MacBook Pro (for the sole purpose of gaming) but I am having a lot of trouble getting around my forethought when installing OS X.

Originally, I was planning on using the solution, so I created two partitions, installing OS X on the second one. Unfortunately, Apple's (superior, i.e BIOS) solution requires a single partition. When I try to run Boot Camp it outputs:
    [B]Your starup disk cannot be partitioned or 
    restored to a single partition.[/B] 
    Your startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac 
    OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already 
    partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing 
    Any ideas on what I can do?

I tried simply installing windows to the first partition but the install disk doesn't recognize the partition scheme that OS X uses. I noticed that Disk Utility now lets you choose "Master Boot Record" under the options dialogue when partitioning. Is there any way I can repartition the drive to use a MBR without loosing all my data?

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2006
    Or is there any way I can merge the two partitions?

(iPartition does not support Intel Macs yet. Their site says they have a beta, but provides no way to download it.)
  3. macrumors 65816

May 23, 2005
    Great White North
    You might want to look at to iPartition to try and enable this without data loss, though I would not be comfortable doing this without a backup or ability to live with losing all my data

EDIT: sorry didn't see your second post while I was writing this one

EDIT: do you have an iPod (or use DVDs) you can backup your files to and then just use disk utility to get a single partition and use the systems discs to get everything back on?
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2006
    My impatience has led me to just bacup to an old PC and reinstall.

It's just a little time consming reinstalling all those apps (I didn't want to do a complete backup as this would have been 35+ GB and probably would take just as long)
  5. macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2005
    I don't see why Boot Camp can't use a physical disk that has been partitioned! I'm quite fond of separating the System disk from the Data disk, so that whenever I wipe my system drive, I never have to think twice about if I'm losing data.