Thinking iMac G5 2.1GHz 20"...??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rhobes, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Rhobes macrumors 6502

Rhobes

So it comes with 512 MB ram. They will upgrade before purchase, I guess at least 1GB Ram?(can go to2.5GB).

I use Photoshop extensively, is there any specific video card that would be of benefit over the standard in this model?:confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can't choose custom GPUs in current (or previous) iMacs, sorry. :eek:

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

mad jew is correct, the iMac is self contained and comes with a ATI Radeon X600 XL with 128MB DDR Video Memory - that is all, there are no other options.

4. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Good to know, maybe that comment was ment for other systems in general. Thanks, helps me from looking dumber than I am when asking questions...
    :D

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No problem at all, that's what we're here for. ;) If you are looking for upgradability, perhaps a PowerMac would be better suited for you. That being said, the latest iMacs are very powerful and are actually at a very good price point (arguably the best Mac value right now) and should be able to handle Photoshop just fine.

6. Rhobes thread starter macrumors 6502

Rhobes

Yes, I'm thinking iMac right now, the biggest. I'm waiting to hear on a trade in value on my current system from PowerMax; http://www.powermax.com/ and if good my go through them. It's just a hassel to deal with selling the old system when you need to move on.

7. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

The latest iMac's are very capable machines and they're externally expandable if needs be. Only thing that bugs me about my Rev.C iMac is that it's a 'sealed' unit - which would be a pain IF anything goes wrong with it. At least RevA & B's could be self-serviced.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sounds like you should be good to go then. Let us know how things turn out, and if/when you have any other questions, just fire away. :cool: