Thinking of buying 23inch Cinema HD display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mikejames, Jul 3, 2006.

1. mikejames macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2005

I'm seriously thinking about buying the Apple 23 inch cinema hd display. I've currently got a Mac Mini 1.42 Ghz with 1GB ram. Does anyone have any advise or does anyone already own one? Its a lot of money for me so I have to think carefully about it. Mainly I'd use it for watching DVDs and usual stuff like surfing the net.

I'm tempted to go for the 30 inch but I don't think my Mini will support it. Basically I'm looking for the biggest / best quality widescreen monitor I can get for my Mini. Any advise is appreciated.
  2. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I think the Apple ACD's are great.

Just be aware that the Dell Boys™ will be here any second tempting you to get a FPW. ;)
  3. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    iGray is right about the Dell people telling you to go get a 23" from them. Its a personal choice on that. Is the money worth the looks? I would get a 23" however I feel I need a 30" since everyone in my dorm floor will have 23" and I need to think different, think 30".
  4. poppe macrumors 68020

Apr 29, 2006
    Woodland Hills
    I feel ya... if only my wallet (perhaps our wallets) could handle our desires...
  5. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2006
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    im a middle of the road guy.

ive got the ACD 23" and the Dell 2405fpw 24"

I think the 23" is just flat out spectacular. period.
    the dell can keep up with it when calibrated with a external device, But from an aesthetic view. its just hands down apple.

I payed $1099 from apple for my ACD.
    i payed $679 for my Dell.

functionally they will both serve you well. all that really matters is the price and looks. ;)
  6. Moe macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2003
    The 23" Apple Cinema HD Display is awesome with my Core Duo Mini!

It looks a little smaller than it is because it's 14" back from the keyboard and the picture was taken up close with a wide-angle lens.
  7. mikejames thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2005
    Thanks for all the advise. My heart says go with the Apple 23inch widescreen but my wallet says go with a Dell. Difficult to decide...
  8. Moe macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2003
    If you think you're confused now, I suspect your eyes would be telling you yet something else if they saw a 37" 1080p Westinghouse monitor on the Mini! :eek:
  9. thl macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2006
    I think you should wait at least untill wwdc, who knows what they announce, it's already a long time since the ACD's got an upgrade..
  10. minimalistic macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2006
    Santiago, Chile
    Go with the ACD!

Im currently running it with a Mini Core Duo, they make a perfect couple :D
  11. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6

Go with the 23" ACD, you won't be 100% happy if you settle for anything else mikejames. :)
  12. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

Apr 7, 2006
    noun. a particular place or position
    go for the 23 incher. mikejames who? mikejames james ehh, its close enought to jones :D
  13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Jun 3, 2006
    One Nation Under Gordon
    The ACD is excellent but as others have said the Dell is better value. So it all depends on what sort of person you are and I suppose also the question whether a few hundred dollars really matters for you.

The Dell experience is to paraphrase what Steve Jobs said about Microsoft, "They have no taste". And that's where you've got to make your decision. do you corrupt your daily Mac experience with the utilitarian computing ethos of Dell in the interests of budget, or do you stick in shiny Mac-land and pay a premium for it?

One thing I'd definitely avoid that's Apple is the keyboard (and maybe mice) because the functional disadvantages outweigh the stylistic uniformity. Apart from that, I stick with Apple for everything. And I like my ACD's as they are in tune with the whole Mac experience. I still have Dell monitors hooked up to my PC's and for the money I think it's impossible to say anything bad about Dell monitors in general. It may be uninspired design but it's solid practical stuff. And yet, by opting for a Dell you'll be missing a small yet important part of that whole Mac Experience :p

I think if the difference in price is any real factor in your decision (such as if it means an extra month of Ramen) you should suck it up with the Dell. In terms of what you're seeing the results are pretty similar. However if you're just considering the difference from a rhetorical "is that extra worth it" point of view then I would go and just look at an ACD in the flesh. Then it will be up to your sense of design and taste to say "**** the premium, I'm going ACD" :D

(Just noticed you're British in which case the Ramen would translate to... what? There isn't really a national broke food in the UK is there? Tesco Basics Baked Beans on Basics Toast?)
  14. mikejames thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2005
    Ordered the Apple 23inch display today. Weighed it up in my mind and although Dell offers good value for money I'll be stuck with the display for a few years so decided to go with Apple. Think I've made the right choice, from the comments on here no ones got anything bad to say about it except that it's expensive.
    I admit the design was the deciding factor! Thanks for all the advise.