Thinking of buying a Dell 2005FPW...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AJ Muni, Sep 28, 2005.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

any1 have it??? good reviews?? you guys think itll work in the powerbook in my signature?? i have a 17'' envision lcd i bought 3 years ago...and after plugging in my pb, and using the right settings it still looks blurry....

2. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

It's one of the most discussed LCD screens in these forums, so I'd suggest you make a search for some previous threads :p

I have one, and I'll be taking it with me in my grave when I die.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I've got a 19" Dell LCD. It's ok. I hear that one is even better. Go ahead. No one will think any less of you. :p

4. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

ive searched and see postive reviews here and there....u guys think ebay will be a good place to buy?? and if so whats the max $$ i should spend?? cuz going with dell.com, it comes out to $600 with tax and shipping...and on ebay im seeing them for about $560 with shipping but skeptical...

5. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

There's constantly coupon codes floating around the web for Dell. Right now they have a $60 off deal, so you can get it shipped for $499, I think. The lowest I've seen it is $389, and if I ever see it like that again, I will not hesitate to buy two. They seem to go for nearly $500 on eBay, so I would avoid that. If you don't need it right away, I say wait it out, and look for the codes!

6. NtotheIzoo macrumors regular

I have pretty much the same laptop, w/o superdrive and 80gb hdd...and it works great...i have a cable box hooked up to it 2...i use it more for a tv than an external monitor...my laptop screen is great and works fine w/o external...but yeah its a great monitor w/ a lot of different types of inputs...im watching marry poppins right now on it...

7. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I second that amount, i would not pay $600 and I'd not go the ebay route, that may just be me. But my reasonings would be....

1. It could be had for around $400 new from Dell(would require unknown waiting period, but I've seen 2 maybe since the beginning of the summer so they are not that infrequent)
    2. Something that expensive and prone to be bad, the list of broken things or non working things on a monitor would have to be extensive let alone one dead pixel they may drive you nuts, would be reason enough not to buy second hand.

My .02

Good luck, everyone from what i hear loves theirs, i plan on buying one when the price is right and the bank balance is as well

8. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

thanks for the heads up...where exactly do i find those coupon codes?? like google them???

9. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I have almost your exact same setup (See this post #331) and I LOVE the Dell 2005FPW. I find it to be a better deal than the Apple in that the image quality is amazing, you get USB ports on the monitor, and you have more input option... not to mention the display can be adjusted and swivel to portrait view. I highly recommend the 2005FPW!

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

11. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

If you are thinking about an external monitor, get the 2005fpw. it can be had for cheap AND buying a widescreen monitor is amazing. you'll be kicking yourself in a year if you bought a 4:3, believe me. go for it...when there are deals to be had, that is.

12. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

wow very nice chrispy...how much u pay for it?? the Dell 2005FPW

13. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

14. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Amazing Monitor, i will either be getting a second one or a 30" ACD next

15. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I got in around April or May of this year and with coupons it ended up only being about $360 shipped and after tax haha. It was the most amazing deal I have ever scored. I actually had no intention of buying a monitor the day I came across it on techbargains.com but I ordered it within an hour of seeing that price :) It very much enjoy it!

16. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

holy s**t thats awesome deal!!! i guess ill wait for the right price then...

17. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

I would love to buy on of these monitors my 17 inch is awesome, i can only imagine what one of these puppies look like. I have decided to wait until the 24 inch model is less than $1000 Au, i may have to wait awhile the lowest price i have ever seen on it is $1299. It is worth the wait i am jealous of anyone who has one