thinking of buying a mac mini

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by derajfast, Sep 10, 2005.

1. derajfast macrumors 6502a

and making it the center of my entertainment cetner downstairs....however, i wold need eyeTV correct? and i would also need a tv (or computer monitor) that has dvi input......i dont need a huge TV or monitor as the one i have there now is a regular 23 (diagonal) inch CRT i believe....the speakers are analog, so id probably have to get a cheap converter cable thing from radio shack....so what else would i be needing? a dvi to dvi cable? id like to keep this under 1000, but i understand it might get a little higher......any ideas, comments, suggestions, problems etc are extremely appreciated. (i probably add like a wireless keyboard and mouse, and get the wireless card for it...what specs should i get on the mac mini, as itd probably only be used for this purpose, and maybe internet browsing/instant messanging....i dont really know how much memory this type of setup would require...i already have a spare 256 from my powerbook (dont know if its the same type)...and id probably get an external hard drive to record the video to)....thanks alot!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you don't want to buy a new screen with DVI check if your existing TV supports S-Video. If it does get the S-Video adaptor from Apple (it's like $20). I use one and it works great.

The MacMini already has analogue stereo output (headphone), but you can get upgrades (M-Audio Transit for example).

As for the RAM you are out of luck on 2 fronts:
    1) PowerBooks use SO-DIMMS, MacMinis use normal DIMMS
    2) The MacMini only has 1 RAM slot.

3. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

alright but would the s-vid be that much worse quality than i already have for standard tv?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

S-Video is going to be a bit lower quality than DVI but is higher quality than "normal" connections.

As you have not indicated how you are going to connect up to the equipment you have, or even what the equipment you have is it's really difficult to say. I'd say that you would get a better answer if you told us exactly what you have, what you want and lay out your question better (capital letters, line returns and so on)...

5. derajfast thread starter macrumors 6502a

well if i used eye-tv with s-vid would the quality be the same as it is now? or would there be a significant decrease in picture quality