Thinking of buying a MacBook Pro C2D ...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SandersHokie, Nov 9, 2006.

  1. SandersHokie macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2006
    #1
    My PowerBookG4 Hard Drive just crashed last night. Should I go ahead and spend the $3,000 on a MBP? Is there something else coming out that is better soon?

    I bought my PowerBookG4 about a 1 1/2 ago, give or a take a little.

    Thanks!!
     
  2. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #2
    Nothing Coming Out Soon.

    Both Laptop lines have just been refreshed.
    Most people believe that you'll have to wait for Santa Rosa for an upgrade, which won't be until Spring 07'


    Just buy a new hard drive, if you are not satisfied with the current line of laptops.
     
  3. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2006
    #3
    would you recommend buying the MBP with C2D? My harddrive on the powerbook G4 just crapped out on me yesterday. Store told me they were not sure if they could fix it or not, oh well.

    Would you recommened dishing out the 3 grand for the MBP? Thanks!
     
  4. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #4
    Depends on what you need and what your budget is.

    I personally don't have any macs:(
    But I've been lingering around this forum for awhile

    I am kinda thinking of getting the 15" CD MBP...the refurb price is down to $1499 for 2.0ghz, 1 GB RAM, and 256MB Graphics card!


    What do you plan to do with it?
     
  5. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2006
    #5
    well i was thinking of getting it for an early graduation present from college. I was just going to sell my powerbook on ebay, looks like you can sell them for about $400 or so.

    Then I was going to get the MBP with 2.33 ghz.
     
  6. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #6
    When do you graduate from college?

    If you are still a college student for the first half of next year, you could get a discount on the newer system.


    If you need a new one now and you want the best...get the 2.33GHZ

    If you want the best for when you leave college, you should wait for Santa Rosa. But 6 months after that, it won't be the best either.

    IF money is an object look at the refurbs or macbooks or just replace the hard drive.
     
  7. SandersHokie thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2006
    #7
    is the Santa Rosa a definate? I've heard they may not even get them.
     
  8. Planner Dude macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 31, 2006
    #8
    I don't know if it is definite, but you hear a lot about it on MR and other Mac websites.

    Basically, with the switch to Intel, we should expect more updates to the hardware more often, especially small speed bumps.

    So what ever you get, it won't be the latest and greatest for long (compared to before with PowerPC).

    Some people believe that the next revision to the macbook pro will include a change to the body of the laptop. No one really knows though.
     
  9. dbater macrumors member

    dbater

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2006
    Location:
    Victoria, Canada
    #9
    Waiting forever

    One could always wait for the rev of a Mac but of course one would be always waiting and never buying.
     

Share This Page