thinking of buying an ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Chaywa, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Chaywa macrumors member

Jun 26, 2004
    Athens, OH
    I want to buy an ibook, but I'd like to get more than the 256MB of memory. Can someone explain to me how memory works in the ibook?

Crucial says there is 1 slot in the comp. This means I would replace the stock ram with a larger dimm.

But Apple says on their BTO page:

"Standard memory on iBook is 256MB of DDR266 SDRAM built-in. Expand memory up to 1.25GB of RAM by using the SO-DIMM slot, which can accommodate up to one 1GB SO-DIMM memory chip."

This makes it sound like their upgrade is in addition to the standard 256 chip. 1 GB+256MB= 1.25 GB What's the deal?
  2. weg macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2004
    256MB are soldered in, if you don't order a BTO iBook with more than 256MB then there's a free slot that you can fill with RAM from Crucial.
  3. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2004
    Los Angeles.
    Just to reaffirm the above post... the 256 chip is soldered in,

and you add the other stick under the keyboard :) (at least thats where G3's had updates).

I am also thinking of "downgrading" from my 1.0ghz PowerBook to the new 1.2ghz iBook... just so I can have a current laptop to last me until a WinTel comes out, and to not break the bank :)