thinking of buying an ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yacho84, Jul 9, 2005.

1. yacho84 macrumors newbie

Yes, I've been ghosting that "New iBooks next Tuesday!" thread for way too long, but Ii'm sick of walking that mile to campus to use a computer and I've saved up and been waiting forever and ever ever...

Would there be anything that would be seriously crippling if I got the current iBook adding...

512MB
    50GB
    Bluetooth

...or do you think the new one will be out within 2 weeks? :rolleyes:
    I need this for when I go to France in September to do some research~

2. gallivant macrumors member

Even if an update happens on Monday, I seriously doubt it'll be anything world-shattering. Probably a small processor bump, the hard drive increased to 40gb, and 512mb standard. <i>Maybe</i> Bluetooth. But while you may lose a little money, I'd be amazed if it actually meant you missed out on the chance for an appreciably more powerful computer.

3. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

The current iBooks are not at all bad machines. In fact, they are very good machines. You won't be disappointed at all with either purchase. That being said, the iBook updates will have to be out soon, because we're going on eight months without an update. If I were in your position, I would hold out for another few weeks and see what develops. It really shouldn't be too much longer, unless there is a serious problem. But then, that's just what I would do.

4. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I don't personally think that there will be a new one out in two weeks. Get one now! The sooner you get it, the sooner you'll be able to use it and love it! The upgrades you have chosen will be great, and you've made the right decision to chose an iBook, I love mine!

::20ROGERSC::

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, hold off a little while longer. I believe that updated iBooks are on their way (shortly).

6. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

If I didn't need an iBook until September, I'd wait.

Here's a suggestion though. Since you're planning to up the RAM to 512MB, the HDD to 50GB (you mean 60GB, right?), and add bluetooth, you might as well pick up a refurb 12" PB for $1099 instead (versus the $1199 price for the iBook with the upgrades).

The previous revision (Rev. C?) of the 12" PB with combo drive (currently $1099) has these specs:

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz
    256MB
    60GB
    Combo
    AP Extreme Card
    12-inch
    Bluetooth
    NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR)

Or, for $1299 you can either get a refurb of the current 12" PB with combo drive (Rev. D?) or a refurb of the previous revision of the 12" PB with SuperDrive (Rev. C?) which has these specs:

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz
    256MB
    60GB
    SuperDrive
    AP Extreme Card
    12-inch
    Bluetooth
    NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 (64MB DDR)

7. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

WHatever the iBook update is there will be nothing crippling in terms of specs...

Just make sure you order your iBook with a 60gb HD instead of the weedy 30gb it comes with and also make sure you upgrade the RAM yourself later as it is expensive from apple...

One thing to worry about though if it bothers you is that there is a possibility of a slight form factor change in the next REV so if that bothers you wait until the next REV if not buy NOW!!!

ShadOW ;)

8. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

So what you're saying is....

iBook G5's on MONDAY!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

9. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

But why would Apple spend the money (and time) to redesign the form factor of the iBook now and then have to change it again (in a year?) when they switch to Intel processors? Doesn't really make any sense to me.

Unless they keep the same form factor for the Intel-base iBooks too.

:confused:

10. yacho84 thread starter macrumors newbie

that sounds very smart, but i'm stupid and i got a free set of jbl creature ii speakers from a friend moving back to singapore and so... it has to match! and my white ikea desk lamp would go nicely too. :p

11. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

You're also forgetting that you can get a free iPod mini with the purchase of a brand new iBook and a free printer. Even if you don't need an iPod and a printer. You could sell them at probably repcupriate $300.

12. THX macrumors newbie

A free printer? Care to supply a few details as I have only read of the IPod Mini + IBook promotion.

13. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

14. Sam I Am macrumors regular

No, it says UP TO $100 rebate, meaning that you don't get $100 off any qualifying printer. Some of the qualifying printers cost several hundred dollars, and those are the ones that you can save $100 on. The lower priced printers save less than $100, though I am not sure how much less.

15. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Hold out long enough and maybe Apple will generously toss in some prime Malibu oceanfront real estate for a mere $100,000.00 ... bathrooms not included.

16. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

Take a seat on the bench and wait for a new iBook like the rest of us. And I don't want to hear, "Gee... for $500 more I can get a 12" PowerBook."

17. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Check again. If the price of the printer is <$100 you get the printer for free. (i.e. the rebate=printer price).

Here is the link to the form.
    http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/2041/795/store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/ChoosePerfectPrinter.pdf