Thinking of buying EyeTV 200... but does it support closed captioning?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ravenvii, Jul 24, 2004.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Closed captioning is invaluable to me, and will make or break the deal. I'm thinking of getting a EyeTV to replace my TV at my dorm so I could pack even smaller. But I want to know if it supports closed captioning? The FAQ on the site says the hardware does, but the software does not yet. It's possible the FAQ is out of date though, so can anyone confirm?

If it doesn't support closed captioning, are their any other alternatives?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I haven't been able to track down anything that gives a definite answer either. You might want to simply go to the support area of http://www.elgato.com and ask the question.

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

I just searched the PDF manual for "caption" and it returned 0 results... I kind of doubt it :(

Lee Tom

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've got an old USB Eye TV (not used anymore), and I know that ElGato has (had) a habit of updating software faster than they update docs, so that might not mean anything.

5. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Hey, you have a USB eyeTV? Is it any good? I only watch TV a couple hours every week. Is it sufficient? I'm thinking of getting a refurbished USB eyeTV from ElGato for under half the price of the Firewire one.

6. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

*bump*

I'd really like your feedback on the USB version.

Thanks!

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sorry - just saw this.

The USB version is fine - but it doesn't support closed captioning, at least not in an obvious way.

The picture quality is fine. Stunning? No. But pretty close to watching a TV. I'd be disappointed to use it to tape a show of which I wanted a great copy, but it is absolutely fine for viewing shows.

The only real issue I have with it is that it tends to overheat after a while - where "a while" is a random amount of time, usually at least a few hours. Then you need to unplug it (from the USB port) let it cool down, and plug it back in.

It's nice that it's USB powered (but you need a powered USB port for it).

Generally, I think it's a pretty cool thing. Just remember that it isn't seen as an A/V device, so you can't use it in iChat or iMovie (to do that, you'd need an analog->DV converter - usually built into most modern digital camcorders - and a VCR).

But it's nice.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If it's $129 vs $349, the refurb USB version - which comes with a remote I didn't get - is definitely a good buy. Unless you need CC, and ElGato promises it's coming for the 200.

9. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Just read that CC isn't supported by the USB eyeTV hardware, so that option's out. Oh well.

I don't really care about fancy features - the only thing I want is a compact device that enables me to watch some TV on the Mac, so I could slim down what I have to haul to college. Quality doesn't matter much. I do want CC, though.