Thinking of getting a Sat-Nav unit?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SpookTheHamster, Dec 13, 2005.

1. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    I had a customer at work today complaining that he couldn't update his GPS based camera detector because he had a Mac, and now after the 6 month trial has ended all he has is a really expensive paperweight (it won't turn on if you don't update). The company won't take it back, even though they don't state anywhere that it's PC-only.

I decided to do a little check: I called every Sat-Nav and camera detector company to find out what would work. Each and every company stated that the products they sold were PC compatible only, and they had no plans to make them compatible with Macs. That is, with the exception of TomTom, who were quick to point out that their units will work on a Mac.

So if you're getting a Sat-Nav unit, go for TomTom.

As an aside, the man from Snooper seemed positively disgusted that I should ask such a vile question. He said it would be a "pointless waste of money" to make Mac compatible software, and that Mac users shouldn't be so stupid as to not use a PC as well.
  2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    That's sorta true. On the Garmin units, you can't use the software to directly updated either the way points or the maps, but because (atleast on the c320 model) the data is stored on a SD card, all you need to load new maps is a SD adapter for your computer.

I know, it limits the use of the device if you can't upload way points, but you can mark them in real time on many models as well.