Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Just realized about 10 minutes ago I can get an Apple TV (current gen) for free through credit card point redemption.

I don't do Netflix or Hulu, literally the only reason I'm thinking of getting it is because when my wife and I rent iTunes store movies, it would be nice to watch them on the TV instead of the 15" computer screen.

I did notice though that it's been well over a year since it's been updated...would you recommend waiting for the next generation?

MFL2012

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Just realized about 10 minutes ago I can get an Apple TV (current gen) for free through credit card point redemption.

I don't do Netflix or Hulu, literally the only reason I'm thinking of getting it is because when my wife and I rent iTunes store movies, it would be nice to watch them on the TV instead of the 15" computer screen.

I did notice though that it's been well over a year since it's been updated...would you recommend waiting for the next generation?

I would say to get one now. Haven't heard anything about a new one coming anytime soon, so for free you can't go wrong. I use mine daily. Best $99 I've spent.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I would say to get one now. Haven't heard anything about a new one coming anytime soon, so for free you can't go wrong. I use mine daily. Best $99 I've spent.

Yeah I'm leaning that way since the buyer's guide provides absolutely no consistency in the release cycle so it could be updated tomorrow, or a year from now.

I figure the new one will have ac wireless, but my old Time Capsule doesn't do ac wireless so it makes no difference, since I'm not going to update that since it chugs along just fine.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
it looks like i need an airplay compatible mac...ive got a mid-2010 arrandale i7 MBP, does anyone know if thats airplay capable? thanks

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
My coworkers both got one and they swear by them. I stream Hulu on my PS3, so I don't really have a need for one. If I didn't though, I'd seriously consider getting one just because it's so cheap. For free you cannot go wrong.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
What do you need to AirPlay? Video or audio?

im not sure, probably video (and of course the audio that goes with it such as for a movie, etc).

cant imagine needing to stream just music to the tv when ive got a perfectly good stereo with an ipod docked in it

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
If you want to watch iTunes movie rentals you can do that straight from the Apple TV without the need of a computer.

I also use mine daily and much more than I thought I would. My favorite function is the Photostream screensavers. They're gorgeous and it's always fun to see new pictures from my iPhone displayed on the TV. The kids love that.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
awesome, just went ahead and ordered it...cant complain for the price of free

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.