Thinking of getting an eMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Jalexster, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking of getting an Emac, to try and get my family used to Macintosh computers. I myself already have an iBook, and there is no way that I am letting them use it (It is customised to my liking, and multipile users won't quite work in this situation), so I thought a bottom of the line eMac would be good.

Built to order, Combo Drive, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, AirPort Extreme (So we don't have to worry about where we are going to put it in the house, we already have a Wireless Network), basic software pack, etc... Probabaly not with Bluetooth.

Anyway, is this a good idea? I really want to convert my family to using Macs before Micro$$$$$$$$oft implements that crap which checks what software is installed on your computer, so Microsoft can choose exactly which software you can use. They can still use Windows, but I'd like them to move all thier critical things onto Mac.

Should I get this eMac, or get something else possibly?

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'd wait until Aug 31 and check out the G5 iMacs... The eMac might be a good idea though. Obviously the eMac would be cheaper, which is probably a priority to you. The iMac will be faster and sport an LCD screen thuogh which would make for (in my opinion) a nicer user experience.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

eMac, or a older used Mac would be just fine.

4. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

We don't really have that much money, and I'd like to get a reasonable Mac, for a good price, to help introduce my family to Macintosh. Oh, and will the eMac's graphics card support Core Image (Or possible video) fully?

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The eMac's video card does not support CoreImage

6. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still think an eMac would be good. How important do you all think CoreImage will be? Also, isn't it possible to install Mac OS X on a really old iMac? In that case, shouldn't an eMac last for a few years ahead (minus CoreImage)?

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

An eMac should last for a few years if it has to. Core image probably won't be all that important for anything but eye candy. If the eMac is the best computer in your budget, I wouldn't worry about it being insufficient.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Absolutely - the eMac will last for many years. CoreImage support isn't a biggie - especially considering (a) the money you'll save, and (b) the fact that Tiger won't be out for many months.

9. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a