Thinking of new Imac - a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by dryjoy, Mar 24, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 19, 2009
    I am still using my 400 MHz Powermac G4 & Emagic Logic Platinum 4.7 with MOTU 2408 MK II & PCI 324 + AMT8 MIDI. I got it new in 2000, and it's given me amazing service - sounds great and is unbelievably stable and reliable - but I know it too well and I think it's finally time for an upgrade.
    I can't afford a Macpro these days, so I'm looking at an Imac, and I'll need a new Audio Interface.

The first system I was going to get was:

Option 1 2.66 Ghz Imac, with a FW800 HD for external audio, daisychained to a MOTU Ultralite Mk3

but it's occurred to me that the Ultralite Mk3 might be a bit over spec'd for what I do, I chose it because although I have a MOTU 2408 MkII at the moment but I hardly, if ever, need all 8 analogue ins & outs.

Option 2 is a 2.93 Ghz Imac, with a FW 800 HD and an M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB 2.0 audio interface, which still gives 6 analogue ins & outs

The thing is, I am suspicious of USB 2.0 audio for some reason, but I wondered if spreading the load across the FW & USB busses might be a safer bet, and it would allow the HD to use the full bandwidth of FW800.

If anyone has any thoughts or opinions about whether Option 1 or 2 might be better, I'd love to hear from you.

2. macrumors 68030

Oct 7, 2007
    DFW, TX
    i would be cautious of daisy-chaining 2 critical pieces of hardware like that. Although you can never go too "over spec'd".

as for the USB, all the usb mbox.s use usb1. And they are very reliable. I don't see anything wrong with using USB for an audio interface. Although firewire is preferred.
  3. macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    Audio uses about 1.5Mbps per channel. FW800 has a total of 8000Mbps. I don't think you have to worry to much about a handfull of audio using up the available bandwidth of a FW800 bus.

Let's put it another way. is a lot faster then the physical speed of a hard disk. Disks can't write at 100 megabits per second. The FW800 bus a bit over spec'd for you needs