Thinking of picking up a 360 today...

Discussion in 'Games' started by xJulianx, Feb 2, 2007.

1. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

...I only really want to splash out on the core system, I have no interest in the headset, and a wired controller will do me fine. My only question in regards to not having the HD is the ability to save games. Will I need to by a memory unit? Or does the 360 have some form of flash memory inside it for games saves?

Thanks.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You would need a 360 memory card and these can retail at £20/30
    But you will not be able to play xbox original games, or download a lot of the free demos for the games from xbox marketplace.

Plus in order to see High Definition on your TV you would need a component cable which is £20

Then you want a game which is going to set you back £40

So a core with a Hd cable, a memory card, and a game is going to cost you around £280

For £299 you can get the premium, giving you a HardDisk Drive, a wireless controller, a headset (i know you dont need one now), a component cable in the box and the ability to download and try games before you buy. Plus most places have packages now that throw in a game with that.

So for £20 your so much better getting the premium. The Core 360 is False Economy.

3. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I don't need a HD cable as we don't own a HD television in my house.

As far as playing past titles goes, I would like to do this, but right now my bank balance does not allow for it.

The reason I want one now is because I am suffering from glangalafever(sp?), basically, the doctor predicts I'm going to be unfit for college/word for the next 2-3months!

My girlfriend has offered to go and get one for me, and she's going to treat me to a couple of games. :)

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well the only other benefit I can think then HDD offers you the ability to download demo's = handy when the bank balance doesnt allow you to buy any game you want. It also can save you from spending money on a game you think you want, except when you do it turns out to be awful.

But that can always be added at a later date, but I would recommend checking out what deals they have in the shops.

Especially if you can get a bundle with a couple of games which will probably cost about the same as the core bought seperatly with a couple of games.

Not many shops do the core with bundles.

Alsoo if you have access to shopping online, then try play-asia.com for their region free games on the 360. You can get some great new games for as little as £20-25 including shipping.

Either way - enjoy and I hope you recover from glangela fever :)

5. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I think you do have a point, I saw a premium bundle online for £299 that came with 2 games. The ability to download demo's is also very appealing as even though I can afford to buy games on a regular basis, nobody likes paying £40+ for something they end up not liking.

Anyway, I think I'm going to wait until Monday, by then a check I paid in the other day should have cleared and I can go for a premium package. Thanks for the advice!

Oooh I wasn't far off spelling it!

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

7. pcypert macrumors 6502

Trust me you'll want the premium. The hard drive adds so much and the wireless controller is so sweet...I'm glad they don't sell wired ones here in Thailand and forced me to buy wireless. Forget the bank balance...old Xbox games are CHEAP now and having the hard drive is a must. I've never even unruberbanded my headset...won't use it. But the other stuff is must have :)

Paul

8. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

If you don't get Premium then you'll beed to get a Memory Card.

I think those are about $50, meaning a Core ends up only $50 less then a Premium...

9. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I decided to get one today. If you're interested Circuit City has a bundle which is on sale this week $40 off. And plus there's a $40 off coupon for CC, but that's ymmv. Loks really enticing. The bundle comes with Gears of War and other stuff.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

He's in the UK ;)

11. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I see.... well... good luck with that. I'm goin' to get mine in a little.

I guess I'll ask it here, anyone know if they still have those Live free trials?

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ I gave one to 2nyRigz last week, but I think I have another from Viva Pinata special edition. I'll pm you it.

13. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Quick question about play-asia.com, I'm sure it's an obvious question as they say they are region free, but they will work on a UK 360 yeah? I only ask because it states wether they are Asian or US games.

What is it exactly that makes these games region free and so cheap if anyone knows?

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Just get the HDD system..It will pay off in the end even if you don't need the headset and wireless stuff. when you see all that online things and live...you will regret it.

Bless

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-fc-49-en.html

^ region free list.

If you look at the section on the left and choose game by version and region free.. any game you buy from that list will work in your 360.

All activision games & ubisoft games are region free. Microsofts USA & Pal gams are region free (and GOW asian)

Asian games look just the same as Pal games, all the everything is in English on the packaging, game ... everything. I've traded them in here (Ireland) no problem when I've finished in the past.

It's a great way to save a bit of money :)

16. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

So as long as it says "No Region Protection" on a game title, it will work? If so, those prices are incredible.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep exactly.

I buy from them all the time. And if you pre-order a game its usually listed a bit cheaper than when its offically out. I got R6: Vegas for $39.99 (£20) and £1.50 postage.

So far I've bought

GOW (Asian)
    Call of Duty 2 and COD3 (Asian)
    Enchanted Arms (USA)
    Rainbow Six Vegas (Asian)
    Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (Asian)
    Splinter Cell : Double Agent (Asian)
    Viva Pinata (USA)
    Tony Hawks Project 8 (Asian)
    Open Season (Asian)
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Asian)
    Saints Row (Asian)
    Tombraider : Legends (Asian)
    Hitman (Asian)
    Just Cause (Asian)
    FarCry (Asian)
    F.E.A.R (Asian)

All costing pretty much 50% less than I can buy them here, in fact when I go to trade them in, I often get slightly more back on trade value than I actually paid :D

18. xJulianx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Wow, thats a pretty sweet deal, thanks a million for showing us that site, I think all of my future purchases shall be from there.

19. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

go and get one its soo cool i have all the games consoles, its a great console its very good and fun, espeshaly with xbox live.

20. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

It is a very nice console. you should get your money's worth.