Thinking of replacing G4 with a FW400 4-bay drive enclosure

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by livingfortoday, Jan 24, 2007.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Hey, I'm thinking about selling my Sawtooth G4 in order to save on space. Currently I'm using it as a file server, holding four IDE hard drives, in two RAIDs. I was thinking of getting something like this to put the drives in instead. I know that the major downside of that is that I won't be able to stream video and whatnot to all my computers, but as I'm slowly cutting back to only one main computer, that's not a major issue. Other than that, can anyone foresee and problems I would have with such an enclosure over my PM G4? And would there be advantages to going with USB 2.0 over FW400? I will be watching high-quality video which I've stored on the drives, as well as music.

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

You'll want to go with Firewire every time. USB isn't as fast, and I've had problems with high quality video when used over the USB2 bus.

Is FW800 an option? Even just getting an enclosure that supports it is a good idea - it's so much faster than FW400. If you're on a budget, however, 400 is fine.

And last but not least, PATA, instead of SATA? I take it you will not be replacing your existing drives, just moving them from the G4?

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, I'm sticking with my current IDE drives, as they're pretty new still. And I'll be using this with a MacBook, mainly, so I only have FW400 as an option.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I have one of those in beige for my iMac, and it works pretty well for my needs. Faster than wireless from my server, and quieter too. Bought it from the same guy I think. Get some hdd brackets though if it doesn't come with it.

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah, he's got a beige one with 4 brackets for drives, as well as two FW400 cables for the same price.

Have you had any problems with it? Does it seem pretty stable and decent quality?

6. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

No problems. Definitely stable, whether you mean the chipset or the build. The thing's a tank either way. You won't be carrying it around with you anywhere. Trust me.