Thinking of selling iPhone with Flappy Birds Preinstalled on eBay - Possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hustler1337, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

Hi guys,

Having read some articles about some people selling their iPhones with the notorious game pre-installed for a ridiculous sum of money, I thought I'd give it a punt and do the same.

Problem is, are these legitimate bids and sales, or does eBay remove the listing?

Also, how does one go about selling their iPhone with the app installed but without having their Apple ID linked to the phone? What is the safest way to do so?

I can't believe I'm even typing this, but if this makes me a wod of cash, I won't think this was a wacky idea anymore :D Am I dreaming?

Thanks! ;):D

2. macrumors member

This is absurd.

3. macrumors G5

yg17

You don't honestly believe that someone actually paid $94,000 for a phone with Flappy Bird on it, do you?

4. macrumors 68030

Steve121178

If you want money that bad, go and earn it like the rest of us.

5. macrumors regular

I seriously doubt anyone paid $94,000 for an iPhone with that game installed (but I could be wrong), but there are some crazy bids going on right now on eBay. Just type in flappy birds and search and you can see some bids in the $2,000 dollar range, some less, some more. I don't know if they are real or not, but people are bidding.

I say give it a try. If it sells, then great, hopefully you will recoup the costs for another iPhone and to create another iTunes account to pay for all the apps you once had and hopefully a little profit. If it doesn't, then at least you tried, no harm in trying.

6. macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Looking at your username I can see why you thought this might work....

7. macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Haha good catch.

How much do you think an android would fetch :D

8. macrumors 68020

aPple nErd

so the big question. ahem $5000 question lol :D anyone want to buy a copy of flappy bird 1.0 .ipa file? ;)

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

Hustler1337

If it's not possible to safely unlink your Apple ID whilst keeping the app installed, I may just jailbreak it and install the .ipa

I earn my money and I work hard for it. What makes you come to that stupid ass conclusion? Unless you're very wealthy, who would turn down an opportunity to make a quick buck for a relatively small investment? If you saw the opportunity, then you would go for it.

Haha, I guess I live up to my name. :D I'm thinking of putting a starting bid of £1337 ;) (just kidding :D )

10. macrumors newbie

I have just posted something similar about this on another section. There is one currently going for over £6m. It's crazy! Although, I do have an iPhone 4S which i'd like to sell which has the game on as I upgraded last week.

I, too, would like to know how to do this as well!

11. macrumors 68030

Steve121178

Your desperate sounding original post.

12. macrumors member

I actually had a galaxy tab on eBay with flappy birds. I started bidding at $500 , made up to $3000 , words can't even describe what I was thinking. Shocked to say the least, needless to say eBay took it off due to copyright issues. If selling tablet or phone you need to erase all apps installed. Oh well doesn't hurt to try. If someone was willing to pay me ridiculous money, who am I to stop them. Lol

13. macrumors P6

At least it sounds like eBay is there (in some cases) to slow down the craziness from spreading.

14. macrumors 604

cynics

Selling product at a premium to those willing to pay it is "earning" money. In a certain sense that's what I've been doing for years albeit my customers aren't as silly but whatever.

15. macrumors 68020

carjakester

I dont believe it, though i thought about selling my phone with the game on it as well.

16. macrumors 6502a

Septembersrain

Oh man, I had a great laugh. I hated that game and find it hilarious people would want to spend so much buying a phone with that app installed.

For one, if they remove their proprietary information, the game is gone.

For two, the .apk for android is still available. LOL I just found and installed it on my Note 3.

Such ridiculousness.

17. macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Couldn't someone just install the .ipa file on a jailbroken phone?

18. macrumors 603

mrkramer

You would have to sell your Apple ID, which I wouldn't be surprised if Apple shut it down if they found out you did that. You wouldn't even have to sell the phone, just give the buyer access to your apple id and they can download it from the purchased apps.

19. macrumors regular

I don't see why eBay is removing these, if I want to sell my iphone with free apps installed, who gets hurt here ?

20. macrumors 6502a

The problem with this is if Apple sends an update that breaks Flappy Birds on it, it's game over. So do it while you can!

21. macrumors 6502

I'm going to say that its highly unlikely that someone is actually paying anything for those phones more than their regular price.

If you note one thing: Most bids are either with 0 feedback buyers or with low feedback buyers. The few accounts you may see with higher feedback...may very well be just hacked.

Under completed listings, the only couple that show sold are by low feedback/new 0 feedback sellers. Its nothing more than a waste of time by scammers from what I can make out of it.

22. macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

Pretty sure those are all fake bids to jack up the price. Either the seller has multiple eBay accounts with diff credentials or they got their friends to bid on the item to pump up the price.

23. macrumors 6502

Sounds about right, maybe they just wanted to get the attention of media lol.

I just quickly went through all the "Completed Listings" for the ones that show sold....eBay has taken them all down and I highly doubt anyone actually paid that much money.

24. macrumors 68020

carjakester

the developer probably went on ebay to try to get something to calm him down from all the money he's made and found these iPhones and killed himself. :D

25. macrumors 68040

Keep dreaming.

----------

Sorry how would that not constitute earning it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.