Thinking of selling my Powerbook and getting the new iMac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Gherkin, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Gherkin macrumors 6502

My Powerbook is from June 2004. 15" 1.5 GHz G4, 512 MB of RAM, Combo Drive, 128 MB VRAM, 80 GB 5400 rpm HD. How much do you think I could get for this on eBay or possibly selling on here?

The new iMacs are tempting me (20" is pretty darn cheap). I've realized I don't really need the portability of a laptop so much, and wouldn't mind having a desktop again.

2. anthonys macrumors member

anthonys

I did that when the iMacs first came out. Sold my powerbook, 15" superdrive 1.25GHz w/1GB ram for the same price as a new 20". Faster and a much better screen! Only problem came when I wanted to take the computer overseas..

3. Gherkin thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, I'm thinking I could sell the PB for about $1,500. Then add a few hundred extra and I could get the 20" with EDU discount.

I would get:

-Front Row
    -the Apple Remote
    -the Mighty Mouse (though I would probably just continue to use my Bluetooth Logitech mouse)
    -iLife '05 (when will '06 come out? In January?)
    -SuperDrive over Combo
    -same amount of RAM, but faster
    -170 GB increase in HD space
    -5 more inches of screen real estate (what is the resolution of the 20"? The same as the 20" Cinema display?)
    -go from G4 to G5 and add 0.6 GHz of processing power
    -get a much better video card

I would lose:
    -Portability

Hmmm, seems very tempting, especially because I would only have to add around $200-300.

4. kmarketing macrumors 6502

Hi,

A couple of years ago, when I switched over to the world of apple, I traded my 17" powerbook 1ghz (that I bought for $1400 at the time), for a single 1.8gb g5 and 22" cinema display. That was the best move that i could have made at that time. Since then, I've had various powerbooks - from the titanium line to the aluminum line, and even a great pismo. I ended up selling them all, and was blessed with a dual g5 2.0 for $900 (the one in the sig). I then decided that all I needed was a cheaper laptop for my basic needs since I had the g5 to do my serious work. The titanium 400 in my sig cost me $425, and I can't be happier. I have 2 great machines, and a nice pocket full of money saved.

if you can, and if i may suggest, sell your powerbook, and get the best desktop that you can buy. Then just splurge a little more and look for a cheaper laptop, either a new ibook or used powerbook. Either way, I think in the long run, you will get the best performance that money can buy.

As many will probably suggest, you may want to see if there is an update coming soon.

Good Luck!