Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rusky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
There are some things I do on Android that I wanted to find equivalent or similar ways to do on iOS
I plan on jailbreaking it, so that would hopefully make some of these things possible

Copy data files and movies onto the phone
On Android it's very simple as I have access to the the file system, I just copy/paste it using windows explorer. Am I forced to use iTunes/3rd party software to do this on iOS?

If anyone is familiar with the Android app Tasker, I don't suppose there's anything similar on iOS?

Can I have widgets on the home screen or for example show a task list on the home screen?

Can I set default apps with jailbreak?

I'm sure I'll have more questions but just these for now.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
There are some things I do on Android that I wanted to find equivalent or similar ways to do on iOS
I plan on jailbreaking it, so that would hopefully make some of these things possible
Just keep in mind that iOS9 does not yet have a jailbreak. You'll need to wait on stock until it's released.

Copy data files and movies onto the phone
OpenSSH or iFile connected to Dropbox.

Alternatively, if you have a Mac…I use Netatalk, which is an Appletalk/Apple File Protocol tweak that allows me to mount the iPhone/iPad filesystem as if it were a network share. From there it's just browsing through folders.

Netatalk requires OpenSSH to be installed first.

There's an equivalent to share the filesystem as SMB as well. That would make the file system accessible through the Windows network.

If you do ever install OpenSSH, VERY IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER TO CHANGE THE PASSWORDS! The passwords are well known and those that do not change the defaults leave themselves open to anyone who would SSH into their device on the same WiFi network.
On Android it's very simple as I have access to the the file system, I just copy/paste it using windows explorer. Am I forced to use iTunes/3rd party software to do this on iOS?
See my response above. Stock, you have to rely on iTunes for this.
If anyone is familiar with the Android app Tasker, I don't suppose there's anything similar on iOS?
Sorry, I am not familiar with this.
Can I have widgets on the home screen or for example show a task list on the home screen?
There are iWidgets, and LockHTML will let you place an iWidget on the lockscreen if you want.

Also IntelliScreenX might interest you.
Can I set default apps with jailbreak?
Yes. There is a tweak for that. Not for all default Apple apps, but you should be able to find something.

Rusky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
Thanks for your reply eyoungren, that's really helpful.

Another concern I just thought of - it seems jailbreak gets harder and harder to release with each update. Do you think there will come a time when jailbreak will no longer be possible?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Do you think there will come a time when jailbreak will no longer be possible?
It's possible. I don't think it's very likely however.

It get's harder and harder of course, but someone always seems to find a way.

There is a jailbreak waiting (that's the rumor) but the jailbreakers are waiting on Apple to release iOS 9.1. In this game they play with Apple a jailbreak needs to be released at the optimum time. Enough time to allow Apple to iron out most bugs and issues and allow the maximum amount of time on the jailbreak. Release too soon and Apple can patch and you have a limited amount of people that can jailbreak. Release too late and everyone has moved on to the next version of iOS.

Rusky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
It's possible. I don't think it's very likely however.

It get's harder and harder of course, but someone always seems to find a way.

There is a jailbreak waiting (that's the rumor) but the jailbreakers are waiting on Apple to release iOS 9.1. In this game they play with Apple a jailbreak needs to be released at the optimum time. Enough time to allow Apple to iron out most bugs and issues and allow the maximum amount of time on the jailbreak. Release too soon and Apple can patch and you have a limited amount of people that can jailbreak. Release too late and everyone has moved on to the next version of iOS.

That's probably my biggest concern. I wish iOS was slightly more open like Android then IMO it would be the perfect OS.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's probably my biggest concern. I wish iOS was slightly more open like Android then IMO it would be the perfect OS.
Well, I agree. But it is what it is at the moment.

If you are worrying about upgrades/updating, well it's part of the price for playing. You have to decide if some new feature stock is worth losing your jailbreak over in updating. Most of the time, once you realize what you have jailbroken the answer is no.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
The way I see it, if you mod a car, your warranty can get voided and your car could have issues. You mod the phone (customize the OS like on android), it could have issues, lag, etc and then you have problems. So iPhone without jailbreak is a solid device. But once you jailbreak it, or modify an android phone, usually it makes things worse.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The way I see it, if you mod a car, your warranty can get voided and your car could have issues. You mod the phone (customize the OS like on android), it could have issues, lag, etc and then you have problems. So iPhone without jailbreak is a solid device. But once you jailbreak it, or modify an android phone, usually it makes things worse.
Not always true.

I've had JB devices from iOS 5 and up. Each one has been stable with anywhere from 50-80 tweaks depending on the version of iOS and I've had just as good battery life/performance as stock.

Now, if you want to argue this based on the fact that a lot of inexperienced newbies go off and install a whole bunch of stuff without researching what they are doing and then whine relentlessly on an internet forum then you'd probably be right.

What people fail to understand here is that Cydia is not the app store. Responsibility for what you install, where you install it and when transfers from Apple to you when you jailbreak.

Some people take that responsibility seriously, others do not.

P.S. I won't argue the warranty issue. Apple is very specific when it say that jailbreaking voids warranty. This is why the smart jailbreaker restores their iPhone (or uses Cydia Impactor) before warranty work. Restoring wipes out all trace of a jailbreak.

slappula

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
While you are waiting on jailbreak, you might consider looking into:

• Plex - this should allow you to save local copies of TV shows & movies. I believe there are other programs that do this as well (Infuse?).
  • Launch Center & Launch Center Pro - automation of tasks using something called URL schemes. This is nowhere near the functionality of Tasker, but it does allow some automation or batching of tasks.

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
While you are waiting on jailbreak, you might consider looking into:

• Plex - this should allow you to save local copies of TV shows & movies. I believe there are other programs that do this as well (Infuse?).
  • Launch Center & Launch Center Pro - automation of tasks using something called URL schemes. This is nowhere near the functionality of Tasker, but it does allow some automation or batching of tasks.

I think this is your best bet. Although, our of curiosity, if you basically want the Iphone to do everything your android does, then why switch. The purpose of the competition is beacuse it does things android DOESNT do. I can understand the moving of movies, but as for being "open" apple is not, and it will never be, why buy something knowing it simply doesn't do that, and never will?

Reactions: Sly13MacRumor

Rusky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
I think this is your best bet. Although, our of curiosity, if you basically want the Iphone to do everything your android does, then why switch. The purpose of the competition is beacuse it does things android DOESNT do. I can understand the moving of movies, but as for being "open" apple is not, and it will never be, why buy something knowing it simply doesn't do that, and never will?

I like the idea of iOS's stability. I'm big on custom roms on Android but I'm starting to get over it and just want a phone that works. Then again Android 6.0 is around the corner so that might change my mind.

yillbs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2015
Texas
I like the idea of iOS's stability. I'm big on custom roms on Android but I'm starting to get over it and just want a phone that works. Then again Android 6.0 is around the corner so that might change my mind.
Fair enough. Honesty I just made the leap to iOS from android and I got over custom rims and keeping up with the "latest" versions of crap pretty quickly. So I hear where your coming from!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Fair enough. Honesty I just made the leap to iOS from android and I got over custom rims and keeping up with the "latest" versions of crap pretty quickly. So I hear where your coming from!
You also have to admit that the interface is far more polished looking than Android. I suppose there are some ROMs that are just as good, but stock Android is just ugly.

Assuming you can get past Jony Ive's flatness and color combos that is. Thankfully, when jailbroken Eclipse/Eclipse 2 can eliminate all that stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.