Thinking of switching from Win to Mac

Discussion in 'Community' started by ThinkingMac, Apr 19, 2004.

1. ThinkingMac macrumors member

Apr 18, 2004
    I have been investigating changing from Windows to Mac. My main concern is the investment I have in windows software. I was surprised that Apple's web site did not have a help screen giving info on how to go about cross platform upgrade’s for the major software used by most people.

I am a photojournalist and I have listed the windows software I use and the response I have had regarding a cross platform upgrade.

Adobe Photoshop: €230 for upgrade from Photoshop 7 win to Photoshop CS Mac.

Microsoft Office Pro: NO RESPONSE from Microsoft (what a surprise)

PhaseOne C1 Pro: RAW photo processor NO COST !!

FotoWare: FotoStaion: Image Management – NO RESPONSE

I think Apple would get a larger market share in they invested some time to research how to get a cross platform upgrade and listed the info for people who can’t find out and just give up.
  2. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Once you go Mac, you'll never go Back

I have lots of good news for you from the Mac side.
    The main reason for switching is the stability and user friendliness of Mac OS X Panther 10.3.3
    Which Mac computer were you thinking about buying? Tower or Laptop?
    New faster PowerBook laptops are coming out this week.
    New G5 PowerMacs within a month, they are ripe for release.
    Your hardest decision will be in selecting which Apple computer will fit your needs best:
    17" or 15" PowerBook with backlit keyboard and everything you need for a mobile studio.
    G5 PowerMac dual 2.5~2.0GHz with SuperDrive 8xDVD burner, FireWire800 and whatever else you need. How about enough slots for 16GB of RAM?
    It depends on how big your RAW files are. :p

ADOBE: instead of just upgrading to Photoshop CS, take advantage of one of the packages Adobe has that center around Photoshop. For a few hundred more €, you can get InDesign page layout, Illustrator CS and some other Adobe products all together. True, we mostly use Photoshop but the others come in handy.
    Adobe Photoshop®
    Adobe Illustrator®
    Adobe InDesign®
    Adobe Acrobat®
    Adobe GoLive® (a waste, use Macromedia products)

As of February 2004, Adobe has supplied a free RAW plug-in for Photoshop CS (Mac)
    Cameras covered are:

Depending on your camera (I have a Pentax *istD), the manufacturer may have a RAW plug-in to PS for you on the Mac OS.
    [​IMG] and info/press releases.aspx

Where in Europe are you? When you fill out your profile, it makes it easier for us to help you. Location is a big help. I have video friends in the UK near London who work for SKY. There are MacRumors members in Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, France, etc.

When you buy a Mac, you get great free software like all the iApps:
    iPhoto (with image management)
    iTunes (music management)
    iMovie (DV video editing)
    iDVD (DVD burning with beautiful, easy templates)

MS Office is coming out with a new Mac update/upgrade for a fee.
    But, you've go to talk to MSN or MS.;en-us;cntactms

Otherwise, there is Apple's Address Book, eMail, and we can fix you up with a very reasonably priced word processor & spreadsheet, if you want.

Is there an Apple Store in your area? Genius Bar visit would be great help.
    There is also a PC>Mac conversion program for like $49 USD that may be helpful, but I've never been a PC switcher.
    Detto Move to Mac - Mac USB to PC USB

(I left Unisys/Burroughs when it was 286 in 1991 to come to Mac and it's great)

Attached Files:

3. ThinkingMac thread starter macrumors member

Apr 18, 2004
    Thanks for the reply, I am in Afghanistan right now but I live in south west France. I go to New York as that’s were the office is and I will probably buy my stuff their.

I am looking to get a 15in laptop with the most ram and lots of disk space. I will also get a G5 for back home as I need mega amounts of storage and power to process all the RAW images I shoot on assignment.

Can you recommend a good book to help with the change over, as I have never used a Mac.
  4. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    .Mac Members have special access to Learning Center

Be safe, use a long lens.
    Which camera do you use for digital stills? Which lenses do you have?

When you buy your Mac, get the .Mac account for a 30% discount because it will give you access to a ton of information online about HOW TO DO IT on a Mac, for .Mac account/members only. You will have special Member access to the LEARNING CENTER.
    Apple Online Training
    (For Members Only)
    Apple's own comprehensive guides to Mac OS X and iLife include illustrative movies, practice exercises, and tips.
    YOU will have your own HOME PAGE, and a PUBLIC folder where you can leave large files for your employer to download by PASSWORD access only, and he can leave you stuff there too for you to pickup later.
    If the size of the account storage is insufficient, you can pay to increase it.
    You also get free iSync to keep your PowerBook and your PowerMac G5 in sync.
    The beauty of this for you, people have access to you where ever you are in the world -
    New York / Paris / Kabul / Baghdad

Attached Files:

5. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    As a switcher, all I can add is once you do it, you'll never go back.

As to MS Office. Once you get back to the states, you could always get the MS Office x.V (or 2004) for students edition. They don't require proof.

I will also add my two cents about the 12" vs. 15". I have used most of the programs, save C1 (PS CS RAW is awesome IMHO). The 12" will save weight and size, and not that much more IMHO over the 15". Just besure to max out the RAM.
  6. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    I bought David Coursey's book "Mac OS X for Windows Users: A Switcher's Guide" when I switched. It covered most of the basic differences in perspectives between the two systems, except for installing programs. Mac programs that don't have a formal installer just come as a disk image (dmg file) which you double-click to open, then drag and drop the app in the Applications directory/folder.

I think that Adobe will allow what's called "side-grading"--getting the same version of an app you already own for a different OS. From what I remember of others' comments, they may be a bit of a pain about it though, so you'll have to nag a bit. I don't think MS allows this for Office, but as has been pointed out, you can get the educational edition fairly cheap.

For your FTP client, Fetch is supposed to be pretty good. For your FotoWare, if that's just a means of importing and organizing photos from a digital camera, then iPhoto does that very nicely and comes free with the system as part of iLife.

So, barring a bit of tugging with Adobe and the edu price of MS office, you're set on programs.

Any other sticking points we can help you with? :p :D
  7. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    When I asked Adobe over the phone about cross-platform switching, the lady said they wanted $100 USD per program to change registration, or something like that...can't remember exactly.
    However, if you come from PC to upgrade to a higher level like from 7 to CS in Mac, they should be willing to make a "deal".
    As I said, the best "deal" is using your ownership of Photoshop to upgrade to the whole CS suite of programs once-and-for-all time.

The only problem with the EDU version of Mac MS Office is that you cannot use it for future updates & upgrades. It is a static purchase. If you are in for the long haul, bite the bullet (and Apple ;)) once and proceed from there.

Between Photoshop CS with Adobe's RAW Plug-in, MS Office X, Apple's iApps (iPhoto etc.) you should be in heaven connected to this Earth by a FireWire800 cable.
  8. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Apple's SWITCHER page

Here's a SWITCHER page on the Apple site with tons of information:
    Along with a handy GUIDE to switching:
  9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    You really hit on an issue of upgrades for me. Working with ad production companies, many are still under Quark 4/5, or heaven forbid under OS 9 and the G3!

We seem to be driven for the consumer, to get the latest in software and hardware upgrades. Unless there are absolute additions to new software, there is no real reason to upgrade.

10. MacRAND macrumors 6502a

May 24, 2003
    Phoenix AZ USA
    Vote with wallet not with "brain"???

I'm a little confused by your post.
    You are a photographer in the advertising business,
    you work with ad production companies,
    who are still using old Quark software, even OS 9.2.2 on a G3

how do you fit into this picture exactly as a conflict?
    what software (Quark?) do you use, if any?
    or, they use Quark, you use Photoshop?

I think I understand your premise though.
    I still use Photoshop 7 which is OS X and gives me all I need
    I have no incentive to upgrade to CS until

• I really need to buy (upgrade) some of the other CS Suite apps like
      InDesign (which I do not have, just good old PageMaker 6.5) or
      Acrobat Pro CS, which I like, want, but don't NEED; I don't worry about
      Illustrator 10 since I hardly ever use it, or
      GoLive CS since I have Macromedia

Obviously, I personally don't use or care about Quark, but aren't there significant improvements to the OS X version now out that is compelling lots of people to upgrade?

I'm so happy in OS X (I love Panther!) that I even adopted
    Adobe's OpenType (also cross-platform) and have bought "replacement" .std fonts for all my majorly used (is that a phrase?) fonts.
    In 2003, I did not boot into 9.2.2 even once, and I started in 1991 with OS 6 so I have the history and am comfortable with OS 9 (I even miss a few apps in it that have not been upgraded, replaced or carried forward [sob, sob, tear] into 10)

The incentive in Photoshop CS that may get me yet is the availability of RAW plug-in in CS only (not 7) now that the Pentax *istD digital camera has been added to the long list of pro digital cameras which can take advantage of it, beginning with Nikon, Canon and Kodak.
  11. carbonmotion macrumors 6502a

Jan 28, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
  12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry hope I didn't offend. The point being is that some get so wrapped up in the latest versions of software. and that drives the need for new hardware to keep up. What I have seen in the Mac world that unless there are new features that are truly needed by the new version, many Mac users stay with the first software purchase for a long time. And that is why the hardware "lasts' so long.

For myself I did the Adobe CS suite. I decided on InDesign because it seemed friendlier for me. Also Quark seemed to lagging behind in the newer shops. I also did not need to be able to work Quark files with the shops I deal with. I was just comparing notes with them.

My photography is fine art stuff. So my needs are pretty basic on that end for now.