Thinking Of Switching...need a couple of questions answered.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Catt, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Catt macrumors member

May 21, 2003
    London, UK

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I currently own a Toshiba Satellite with the following specs:

800mhz P3
    30Gb Hdd
    128Mb RAM
    CD-RW/DVD drive

I am fully aware that a Power book of any description would be more powerful than that.
    I'm looking at the new Powerbook 1.25 15inch Alu, which just comes into my price range with the education discount.

BUT I have a problem. I have too much invested in PC software. I have a TV tuner that only works with Windows for example. So my first question is how effective is Virtual PC? could it run my TV tuner for example? (, its the USB one). This is one of the major reasons why I'm in two minds about moving to Mac. I use my Mum's iMac on regular basis and bizarrely find Mac OS X actually more difficult to use than Windows ME - but this isn't at issue because I still find it fairly straight forward.

To be completely[i/] honest I would prefer a PC laptop due to the fact I could use pretty much all my old software, but none look as nice as the Powerbooks :(
  2. Jays macrumors member

Feb 4, 2002
    Re: Thinking Of Switching...need a couple of questions answered.

3. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    ignore that last poster

Anywho, I would be more concerned with what your laptop does and how it suits you as opposed to how it looks. You probably won't be too happy if you buy a computer for looks, find the OS confusing, and have to buy a bunch of new software.

That said, OS X is difficult for most Windows users because the utter simplicity confounds most people. But it's really just a way of thinking about an operating system. You should adjust with no problem. The Finder in Jaguar is kinda stupid. Panther should fix this issue.

Regarding your TV tuner. I would doubt it will work. But you can see if there are Mac drivers on the company's web site. That's probably your only chance of getting it to work.

As much as we would love to see you "switch", it does require a substantial cash and time investment. But, IMO, it is worth everything you put into it.

Good luck!
  4. maluscanis macrumors member

Jun 30, 2002
    I'm not sure
    Yes, please disregard the first poster. I would definitely recommend switching to OS X. It might be different (meaning it is not yet as comfortable or familiar as Windows) but it really is a superior operating system. It is very, very stable. The seemless integration of the iApps (iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, Mail, etc...) makes using the computer a very pleasant experience.

You will have to make the decision as to whether you can afford to switch and if a Mac will suit your needs. No one can deny that the widespread use of Wintel machines has added benefits to a windows user.

However, once you get used to a really will be so glad that you switched.

Best of Luck with your decision.
  5. ABG macrumors 6502

Oct 5, 2003
    United Kingdom
    e-coli: As someone who is also thinking of moving from PC to Mac I appreciate your comments on ignoring Jays. I'm a regular member of a car forum and although new here had expected the same level of assistance newbies would get there in this forum. The first thread I read (this one) had a sarcastic and unhelpful response - I almost spun on my heels and left.

Nice to see members with experience helping out.

Catt: I know what you mean - with existing cash tied up in software and peripherals the move can seem expensive. One plus is that over the years I've noticed how many of these USB / firewire devices are both PC and MAC compatible. It might be worth checking the website for the tuner to see if it is compatible or has drivers.

If it's not compatible you could try selling existing PC stuff on ebay and then buying secondhand MAC stuff instead.

6. Catt thread starter macrumors member

May 21, 2003
    London, UK
    I've checked out the manufacturers website and they don't provide Mac Drivers :( - but they do produce another TV tuner for the Mac... so I could sell my existing one. Does anyone have any advice on TV tuners for Macs?
    My other major peripherals will all work on a Mac, my printer, graphics tablet and so on. Its just that I've got 4 years+ worth of PC software hanging around, although when I think about it most of it I don't use and if I did get a new PC Laptop half of it at least wouldn't be compatible with XP anyway. I'm going to sit down and have a long think about it.
  7. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2001
    Don't worry, really, I've been through the same switch (ME -> OS9 -> OSX) and you need to get used to it, but in the end OSX is so much easier because it's so much more logical. I remember searching through all preferences to get things working but overlooked the simple buttons that Just Work(tm). You'll be happy after a month of using OSX, all those years wasted on windows... ;)
  8. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    well, it might be obvious... well no one suggested it either.

is there any chance you could visit an Apple Store?

i am sure the genuises there could help you out, if you still have doubts.

i read somewhere, that a fairly large amount of people who buys stuff consider the looks first! then the usefullness of a product...

buy the Mac for its looks

9. beefcake macrumors 6502

Jun 22, 2003
    I very recently made the switch to OS X and am definitely one of those winodws users who is confused by its simplicity. However, I have yet to come across something that didn't "just work" as they say. I have no idea why things work, they just do and thats good enough for me.

If you're unsure about the switch, don't make it. I love my TiBook and have no qualms about OS X, but my powerbook was pretty much a graduation gift so cost was not an issue. If you're in the market for an 800 mhz Tosiba, I can only imagine how much more expensive the PB would be. If you want to stay with windows, get an IBM thinkpad if you can, they're, in my opinion, the best laptops in the windows world and give PBs a run for their money as well.
  10. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    Catt, The key thing here is what do you want to use the laptop for? If you have a large investment in PC software then I would stick to a PC. While the Powerbook is a great looking laptop it needs to meet your requirements, while I am sure most of the software that you have you can get a Mac equivalent it will come at a cost. Macs excel at digital hub stuff (video, music & digital imaging) but if this is not what you need then I would stick to a PC laptop. I think you have answered the question yourself in the last sentence, when you say you want to get the PC Laptop.

I switched from Windows over a year ago and agonised over the same issues, but I have never looked back since. But most of my computing needs revolve around digital imaging (Photoshop), digital video and web, and the Mac that I have meets those needs brilliantly and reliably. Blaster virus - what's that!
  11. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    Some quck advice on VPC. I have used it in the past farely regularly. It works well for most things, though not blazingly. But if you are thinking of playing games using it, I wouldn't advice it. It will play a few older strategic type games, but that is about it. Admitedly, I do not use a TV recorder with it, but it does work for a lot of things quite well.
  12. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    i know how you feel man. you are making it to hard on yourself. i am skilled in windows and mac os x but i can give one example of what you are going through. when keynote came out i installed it and started to use it. keynote was hard as hell to use, and you know why. because i knew powerpoint like the back of my hand and i was making it to hard on my self. i was clicking through menus and all that crap when all i had to do was click on inspector. how you have dealt with windows me is way beyond me.

13. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I have been agonising all summer about Mac vs. PC and finally switched when the new PowerBooks were announced. My 12" is due any day now so I'll be able to make my final assessment then. I'm excited about Final Cut Express, which I got a good deal on, Photoshop Elements and the iApps. So I guess Macs are good at what I want to do. I just need to find a decent budget Audio/Music app now - Logic 6 is a tad expensive!

I'd love to go to an Apple Store, but Apple needs to build some in Britain first! The problem here in the UK is that most computer shops I go to do not contain Macs of any description. No wonder Apple's market share is hardly increasing - no-one knows they exist! :(
  14. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    i switched 27 hours ago, and let me tell you, i have no doubts.
    an example: i was working in keynote at school. when trying to insert an image, i looked through every single menu and everything. then i thought 'this should be simple. what is the simple thing to do?'
    i dragged the pic off my desktop and into keynote.
    that simple. period.
    pretty soon (keep in mind 27 hours) i was pretty good at guessing how to go about doing something.
    i would say go for it 100%. it is well worth getting rid of windows.

btw: all 15" iMac 800 users: is your cd drive outrageously loud with some cd's and just sort of loud with others? or is my cd drive screwed up
  15. chmorley macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well, I'll say this--if you have a few key apps that require the power of a PC, don't count on Virtual PC--buy a Sony Vaio or some such thing. If you want to stop fighting with your computer, buy the Powerbook and keep the Toshiba for the things you need it for.

I provide support for the PCs at my company and run Macs at home. Whenever people ask which computer to buy, I first find out how flexible they are and how much money they have invested in their current software. If they are flexible and fed up, I recommend they switch (regardless of the second factor). If they are not flexible and are concerned about teh money they have invested in Windows software, I recommend they not switch. They will have a bad experience, blame it on the Mac, and tell all their friends.

SO...if you are flexible and interested in a better computing experience, switch. If you just want a good-looking laptop and are not interested in a better computing experience, check out Sony's Vaios.

Just my 2 cents.