Thinking of switching

Discussion in 'Games' started by luker, Feb 17, 2007.

1. luker macrumors newbie

I've been browsing through forums for the past few days after recently installing Vista, seeing what the gaming experience was like on a Mac, if you haven't guessed, Vista screwed me over. =(

I've always wanted a laptop anyway, a Mac laptop at that, but I need to know which one. I've gathered that a Powerbook Pro or whatever the top end one is will get me much better performance with WoW and DVD's and the like; but I have $2000 AU maximum to spend(I'll be selling my current computer + vista for the money).

Is it possible to get a decent laptop at that price with 25fps+ performance in games such as Wow natively, starcraft natively and GTA, C&C3, BF2 etc. under Bootcamp?

- luker

2. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

If your budget is 2000 $$ then I would say buy the Black MacBook and add more RAM to it. Base model Macbook Pro is 1999 so it will end up being more than that with taxes and all that. In my opinio the black Macbook should really work for you. Glad your switching. Enjoy it !:)

3. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

The OP said he had 2000 AU$, not American $.

If games are your thing, then I guess you want a dedicated Graphics card. That means macbook pro.

Unfortunately, even the refurbs on the australian site are quite a bit more than what you have to spend. You can search macrumors to see how WoW runs on the macbook—maybe it suits your needs.

Other options include waiting till Santa Rosa and a better graphics card go into the MacBook, but that might not be until the fall. Or try to find a used one, although that's not likely to be much cheaper than the refurbs.

If cost is an issue, I wouldn't go for the BlackBook. There's a premium for that cool black case, and it ain't gonna help your gaming!

4. luker thread starter macrumors newbie

Suppose all I were to play is WoW and Starcraft (and DVD's), with the graphics as low as they need to be.. on a 13" Macbook.

Am I better off waiting for Apples new OS? ..leopard I THINK it's called but no clue really.

5. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Welcome to the fold.

:D

WoW runs just fine on a macbook. Really well in fact. Today I turned on the "shaders" and took not hit in performance. Still hitting about 20 fps.

And the game looks even better! And this is all with 512 ram, not a gig. I wish I had a gig. So get a gig of ram and you'll be fine for WoW. (Besides, if you are ok with WoW, do you really need any other games. )

:D

6. luker thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe just what I was thinking, it's all I really play anymore, but SC is fun when I'm bored/in the mood for a great RTS.

(70 Human Mage of Frostmourne ;))

7. luker thread starter macrumors newbie

If Apple releases a new OS can I install it on a MacBook?

8. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

yes

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Unlike Microsoft, Apple's new OS releases don't have ridiculously bloated system requirements.

Even the latest release of Mac OS X will still run on a 233 MHz G3 with 128 MB of RAM. (Not well, but it runs :) )

A MacBook will have no problem.

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Your budget is rather strict...the white 2 GHz MacBook is exactly what you'd need (1 GB of RAM, DVD burner, etc), no upgrading necessary. Do you qualify for an education discount (student or teacher in the family?) or can you buy Refurbished? If so, get a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook.

11. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

i dont know about the macbook...

I dont know if macbook is the way to go at this time. I mean if you are looking down the road to play other games besides WOW (you could conceivably get bored with it), the integrated graphics chip might not have enough punch. For the money (AU) you are looking to spend you could get a 17 inch imac with an X1600, or even a refurbished 20inch imac. It depends on how much eyecandy you want. Do you really need a laptop? It also depends on how long you hold on to computer equipment. I know some people who only hold onto their stuff for a year or 2 then sell it on ebay and buy new stuff pretty quick. If that's you then go for it. If not you may want to look at what barefeats has to say about the macbook core 2 duo, it aint pretty:

http://www.barefeats.com/mbcd8.html

To quote:
    it goes on further to say:

Again it depends on what you can live with, WOW may be perfectly acceptable to you on a macbook. But definetely search the forums and see what others are saying and if you can maybe see someone play it on a macbook. If performance is more important with wider selection of titles then you could always go with the imac.

good luck:)

12. luker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for your replies, I'm not really a PC Gamer at all anymore, wow sorta turned me off it. :p I'm thinking of gaming on a console again.. ie. 360... but that's beside the point. lol.

Okay, here's what I'm after;
    A laptop to last me for 4 years +, that can play DVD's, music, browse, chat, VoIP and office related work with no worries and no lag. All the simple tasks that one needs a computer for, all gaming aside(except Starcraft :p).

You mention I can save money by being a student? o_O Can I do that easily enough at the Apple Store?

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah just log into the education section. There should be an option on the apple store that says Education.

14. luker thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry by apple store I meant the apple store at Warringah Mall.. not the internet one. :p

15. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Just say you're a student :rolleyes:

And take some proof just in case.

16. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

Yippi!

A switcher in the works! Welcome to MacRumors :)

I have the Black Macbook Core Duo, not the Core 2 Duo.

If you were to buy a macbook new with a student discount you could get the nice Core 2 Duo!

My mabook plays what i like to play. Tetris:D It runs very smoothly:D

I once did play Halo (the first one) on my Macbook and the graphics were pretty, and it ran fast with no lag, it always quite!!!

But thats because it was not Universal.

Well i hope you buy a mac and enjoy it too!

17. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

Go for it then...

If that's what you are looking at you should be fine with the macbook...

In the US you can sometimes get a better deal getting apple refurbished from a 3rd party seller instead of education discount. The taxes sometimes offset the education discount, and no taxes on a refurbished helps you come out ahead. Unless ofcourse they are offering a special promo, as they have in the past, where you get a free ipod with an educational purchase...:cool:

Either way welcome to the mac community and macrummors. :)

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Get the 2 GHz White MacBook.

If you press the Education button on the Apple Store, you can get education pricing; that should drop the 2 GHz White MacBook below your price limit.

The MacBook should be able to do that and occasional gaming (WoW included). It'll do everything you list easily (just get the 2 GHz model because it has 1 GB of RAM).

In fact, I rip DVD's with my MacBook and use it as a portable video library. Forget VoIP, you can do full-on video chats.