thinking of trading in iBook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dogdog, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Dogdog macrumors newbie

Jan 29, 2004
    I have a 14” 1ghz iBook with an Airport Extreme card in it and I am toying with the idea of trading it in for one of the new 12” iBooks, mostly for the sake of portability and maybe just because a brand-new Mac is sometimes a nice thing. My local reseller said they could give me 700 in trade, so it’d only cost me an extra 300 to get the new iBook. I’m guessing another plus would be that the newer iBook would retain value longer than my current one, which will be a year old in December. My question is: is this a reasonable value, 700? The convenience of course is that I can walk right into the store, hand them the 300, and have them transfer all my files from the old machine to the new one right there. Or: is it wiser to go to eBay. And finally: am I being frivolous? It’s not like this current machine is doing me any wrong. And I wonder if adjusting to the smaller screen (same resolution, I know) would be a problem.
  2. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    You could get (maybe) ~$200 more for it on eBay, but is it worth the extra hastle? Walking into the store is pretty darn convenient. The 12" screen and the extra portability would be worth it for me. Plus it's got a faster processor and what not. I'd just go to the store and trade it in, unless you are really comfortable with eBay, and don't mind dealing with eBay idiots...
  3. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
    Yuppers, $700 up front with $300 paid difference is is really grand (get it? 700+300=1000 :D ), and shouldn't be passed up.