Thinking on buying another G5 possibly...

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Liquinn, Aug 20, 2012.

1. macrumors 68020

Hi, does anyone on here have two PowerMac G5s? Can those people share their experiences on their PowerMac G5s are running etc?

I'm thinking on buying another one; should I get the early 2005 one as I already have the late 2005 one?

Thanks.

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm more curious ... why would you want a PowerMac now? Are you simply looking to collect older Apple computers?

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah. I own one Powermac G5 already; may buy another. Thoughts? :D

4. macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I've got a dead iMac G5, a dead PMG5 and a semi-working PMG5. I should be getting my first fully working PMG5 soon.

5. macrumors member

The original memory sticks in my late 05 G5 recently failed, but it was easy enough to re-upgrade. Every Apple/Mac I have from all the way back to 87 still runs as it was designed, especially the G5. It is a bit loud sometimes under load, especially compared to my Mac Pro, but it's really a monster that was way ahead of its time.

They're a bit power hungry, so you might want to consider that if you plan to run your G5s 24/7. I do run my G5 24/7, headless, and it consumes roughly 180W-230W at any given time depending on how many AppleTVs or time machine backups are running to it. It handles everything I can throw at it.

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah I see, I won't be running it 24/7. Do you know if you have to have a Internet connection to VNC to a G5 from another Mac internally? Like, I want to VNC from a G5 from my Macbook Pro; will the G5 need the Internet for this to be done? So perhaps then I can VNC to one G5 and use one physically...

7. macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

I have to run mine 24/7 otherwise it may not turn back on!

8. macrumors regular

KingKen1986

Obviously you don't have a PowerMac G5.....or you would understand.:D:apple::D

9. macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Aslong as both are on the same LAN there should be no issue with VNC (it's really just peer-2-peer) any data going in/out the internet would just suggest that either your VNC-client or server is malware-infested :p

10. macrumors 6502a

Because a G4+ mac beats the crap out of Pentium 4's which plenty of people still use. So there still perfectly usable today.

11. thread starter macrumors 68020

True that :p I guess there's going to have to come a point when I'm happy with what I have.