Thinkpad Story- must see

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Daveway, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats pathetic, but at least at the end they say that it was a dramatization, really they should have just said that it was a waste of money

3. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

[​IMG]

I'd love to try this at home...any excuse to burn a PC. :D Actually, I like the IBM portables.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yes it was a dramatization, but it was (or so they claim ;)) based on real stories they've received from customers.

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*giggles at the acting*...I think they recruited out of the same talent pool that does Cable-TV-only commercials. ;) But outside of ruggedized laptops, a thinkpad is about the only kind I'd believe that story from. And it *did* come in the form of a Quicktime movie...when a movie actually plays from the website, in the browser window, on my Mac, I consider that something of a major victory itself. :D

But still...somebody so needs to parody that....

7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

8. crachoar macrumors 6502a

Apple should make some stories about how easily the Powerbooks scratch and dent! Yeah!

.....oh, wait... :(

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I wish they'd chlorinate those every now and then.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The only way that story could have been any more lame is if he was still using his melted IBM Thinkpad to this day.

11. RacerX macrumors 65832

I've had two ThinkPads (the first was stolen) and have very happy with them.

:rolleyes:

Of course I've never run Windows on a ThinkPad, which I'm sure has had a lot to do with how well they have run. My first one started out with NEXTSTEP 3.3, then was upgraded to OPENSTEP 4.1 and updated to 4.2. The second one started out with OPENSTEP 4.2 and was upgraded to Rhapsody 5.1. It has been running off that installation of Rhapsody since the fall of 2000 without any problems (other than the power adapter needing to be replace a year ago).

I'm sure most of you have heard that Steve Jobs continued to use a ThinkPad running OPENSTEP long after his return to Apple. He used to tell the PowerBook division that Apple needed to produce PowerBooks that were as good as ThinkPads. The PowerBook G3 Series (Wallstreet) seem to be the answer to many of the short comings Jobs had pointed out.

I'm not sure how long Jobs continued to use a ThinkPad after that. But I know that he was still using OPENSTEP's Mail 4.2 (build v1.148.2, the version included with OPENSTEP 4.2 with patch 4) in early 2001 (at least while using his Pixar e-mail address). Still, that doesn't actually tell us what type of hardware he was using at that point... but I would assume it was some form of PC (as OPENSTEP 4.2 is sort of slow on NeXT's 68040 hardware).

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Where 's the movie about the ThinkPad that wasn't in a fire, soaked or dropped and lost all its data and died?

13. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

14. maya macrumors 68040

maya

15. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Heh, my wife is getting a remanufactured Thinkpad for Christmas.

16. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

17. Col. Panic macrumors member

What they don't tell you is that the ThinkPad batter is what started the fire. :D
    So the guys TP still works but he lost everything else.

18. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

When they show the office shot at the very beginning, you see a bunch of imacs. well...you see 2. hahaha

19. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Did you read this last screen?

And I was ->.<- THIS close to setting my house on fire!

Attached Files:

20. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

It's probably the one in the movie :)

21. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

There was a MacAddict where some guy's G3 B&W had been hit with an electrical spike (it was off) that started a fire. It had melted so you could see the inside. It ran just fine.

That was a sad story. I mean.. his house burned up on his daughter's wedding day!

Oh, wait.

It was a dramatization on what REALLY happened:
    He dropped the ThinkPad. It lit on fire. He called the fire department and ran. Then he brought in in to work. They pried the case open, pulled the drive out, and recovered his data. The screen worked, but how the hell does and LCD warp? I thought only CRTs did that... :rolleyes:

22. jcolman macrumors newbie

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

so whats wrong with this? ok his thinkpad survived the fire and etc...i think thats cool that IBM can make such a strong product. The Ad might be lame but the story is good...i would really like a computer that can stand that test because i know the ibook cant take that beating......Tell me this would this be lame if it was an apple computer story?.....no half of you would be giving praise.

My 5 cents.

Bless

24. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah, whats wrong with that, we like Apple. I'm not sure why you would want a product like that unless you needed a computer that was going to get knocked around a lot. Why build a laptop that is 3 inches thick, weighs almost as much as you and looks like a brick?

25. jcolman macrumors newbie

You guys might want to check out a few of the other stories about ThinkPads surviving some incredible events.