Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shacklebolt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2004
I always thought of MacRumors as a consolidator of rumors. So, I don't think they have much to worry about when it comes to this kind of stuff. Still though... ThinkSecret was great. A little bit too great, apparently.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
Basically, TS had a VERY well informed insider source coming directly from within Apple. In that year that led up to Apple's switch to Intel and Tiger they had pretty much EVERYTHING foretold in advance. Apple here didn't really go after TS per say, their main goal was to find out WHO from the inside was leaking so much info. We'll probably know one day and we might be surprised to discover just how high up that person really was,,,

dun dun dun... it was Steve Jobs!

Yea they walked a little too close to the fire... but very bold moves and great reporting for all of us users :)

MacRumors takes a different approach, one that insures it will be around for a while.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
WOW! This is indeed shocking but like others have mentioned; I too, have noticed the gradual decline (in content) that Think Secret had on their site as of the last year and a half. Several years ago it was my first destination for all Apple related rumours. Since TS run-in with Apple I've turned to MacRumours as my new first stop.

So as shocking as it is; I guess I saw this coming.

RIP.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Well,
Seriously in the past year they were very lame. Sure they were good long time ago, that's why Apple went after them. But, I guess since their inside guy was busted, they were basically done and doing just guess work like anybody else.

Adios Think Secret!

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
you gotta wonder how much the settlement was to Thinksecret to shut down? I see apple's legal and PR team offering TS ownership a 6 digit to low 7 digit figure to shut down and walk away. They lost their muster and a lot of pageviews over the past year or two. Too bad, good site.

Sounds like Apple paid them off. In essence, bought them to shut them down.

Why would Apple pay TS in a settlement? It was Apple that sued.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Basically, TS had a VERY well informed insider source coming directly from within Apple. In that year that led up to Apple's switch to Intel and Tiger they had pretty much EVERYTHING foretold in advance. Apple here didn't really go after TS per say, their main goal was to find out WHO from the inside was leaking so much info. We'll probably know one day and we might be surprised to discover just how high up that person really was,,,

Phil Shiller! :p

I wouldn't be surprised if the #1 requirement of the deal was Think Secret giving up their source. Apple's main goal was to root out the mole and I doubt they'd stop pursuing TS without getting their man/woman.

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
that is interesting. i'm curious as to what legal grounds apple had against TS that they don't (hopefully) have against MR. Folks post all the time about random rumors and only apple can possibly know how accurate those rumors are. I can be random as well, and predict that Apple is developing a much more enhanced AppleTV with BlueRay for release in the next year or so. And in the highly unlikely off chance that my 'guess' happens to be accurate, does that give Apple the legal ground to file a lawsuit against MR in demands of my identity?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Phil Shiller! :p

I wouldn't be surprised if the #1 requirement of the deal was Think Secret giving up their source. Apple's main goal was to root out the mole and I doubt they'd stop pursuing TS without getting their man/woman.

The press releases states that ThinkSecret did not give up their source.

arn

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Press releases are such crap. I highly doubt the settlement was positive for both sides since the site is shut down. If Nick was so concerned about his school work he should have just shut down the site in the first place.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
personally, i believe that this is completely silly for Apple to care about the rumor sites.

they are great for enthusiasm and great product feedback and information for apple. The mac/apple/ipod fans community with people who have good knowledge of the product is important.

Macrumors is great. if somehow out of journalistic pride, they got scoups, GREAT!!

Apple is idiotic for trying to crush the free speech of their fans. This is censorship, clear and simple... Maybe combined with a "settlement" cash payoff to the owner of Think Secret???

Lets hope a new fun site comes up.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
Bummer.

Good PR for apple too, showing that they indeed are turning into a fascistic entity.

Next in line will be Macrumors,then 9-to-5,then CNN,then..

Off course businesses have rights to protect their developement/tech,but jumping on some kid running a forum...for chrissake.
Fascists..

As a personal protest against :apple:,I´ll postpone my purchases of apple christmas presents...Well,at least untill january.

MidiMonk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Wow, Apple is really flexing their new found popularity really quick.

too bad QC is going down just as fast.

ciscored

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
Wow that is really really sad. I've been following thinksecret for many years. Their info has always been straight to the point and accurate. They never really relied on info from other rumour sites and were very bold in their predictions. I'm gonna miss you guys, thanks for the years of hard work!

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
That's a pity. But there probably wasn't much else TS could do.

One thing I'd be relatively confident in--there is a LOT behind the scenes that we'll most likely never know. . .

DrEwe

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2004
Seattle
how pathetic

sad to see Apple put another nail in press freedom - god knows us proles are just too uppity wanting to spread rumors and such. Well, at least we still have CNN and Time to tell us what's happening :confused:

I would have thought that Apple would be happy to have a loyal fan base that could support such a site. I can see Apple being pissed about trade secrets - but shutting them down? A bit heavy Steevo....:mad:

SirOmega

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2006
Las Vegas
TS probably got out of it without having to pay Apple money, and not revealing their source.

Apple got a rumor site offline, as well as not establishing a bad precedent in court if they lost (that leaked rumors are OK - if CNBC can go on TV and talk about a new possible macbook thin then whats wrong when TS does it).

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
I just don't get it. These rumor sites are good publicity for Apple. Sure secrets are let out in the open but people get excited about this stuff.

daddywags214

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Rumor sites are good when they're rumors. Like MacRumors. Sharing industry secrets won't help, because other companies will be able to learn Apple's pattern, and they'll be able to come up with more competitive products, etc etc and release them in time with or before Apple. That's bad for business . . . I don't blame Apple for calling a stop to that.

Rumors sites get people talking. Revealing everything that is going to happen takes all the fun out of it anyway.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I just don't get it. These rumor sites are good publicity for Apple. Sure secrets are let out in the open but people get excited about this stuff.

I believe the root of this suit was information on an unnamed product that thinksecret put out.

By doing so it could , or for that matter may well have hurt Apple in a fashion that gave competition an edge on an important product that either did or has yet to come out.

Boiling it down to pseudo-corporate espionage. That's big dollars.

Chow Nick !..

JayBee

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
Remember, Apple was going after the source, and TS was it's biggest lead.

That Apple have allowed Nick to just shut his doors and walk away, without revealing his source AND with a big cash payout, seems like an interesting conclusion.

My take on that is that Nick *could* have defended against Apple's attack in court and won, but that he was willing to take the payoff to stem the leak's publication outlet, mainly due to other commitments (school).

Apple wouldn't have paid out unless it was worth the investment. They've paid to avoid a damaging and potentially negative court appearance, and to put a stop to one of their leak's outlets. Good for Nick - he's played the game and won.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
All these negative comments towards Apple. You have to understand that business is business, this isn't about a big company going after the little guy.

If valuable information was leaked that could damage and effect sales, I think Apple has every right to put a stop to it. Instead of bashing Apple on a case you know nothing about(detail wise) just take this time to remember ThinkSecret and the years of information they've shared, and be happy that at least he walked away without hefty fines and whatnot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.