Third-Party Apps for cron jobs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mms, Apr 11, 2004.

1. mms macrumors 6502a

I'd like to use a utility for manually running the cron jobs, instead of keeping my computer on all night. I know of MacJanitor and Cocktail, and am aware that there are many others out there. Can anybody recommend any of these utilities, or share any positive or negative experiences with these?

2. Nny macrumors regular

Nny

Cocktail is awesome. Cron jobs, update prebinding, repair permissions, optimize for broadband, delete caches, delete .ds_store files, more, more, more... and more. So much cool stuff in one app. Highly recommended.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

MacJanitor and Cocktail are both very good. Cocktail has a lot of other uses as well. I don't actually use either for cron jobs though. I use one called Macaroni. It runs the cron jobs automatically and also repairs permissions at scheduled times and deletes foreign language packages (if you want it to). It's not free, but it's cheap and worth it--either $6 or $9.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

If you really want to run them manually, why not comment them out of your crontab and just "run them manually"?

If you're just looking for a way to make sure they get run w/o having to make sure your computer is on at a set time of day or night, just install anacron. The install package will move your existing cron jobs over to anacron automatically.

5. reh macrumors 6502a

6. reh macrumors 6502a

Anacron has them all beat, hands down. Cocktail, MacJanitor, etc... all require user intervention. Anacron does not, yet all scripts still get run even if your computer is off most of the time.

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Macaroni does not require user intervention after it's set up. Biggest knock against it is that it's not free.

8. SmpDigital macrumors newbie

I've been using a program called Xupport http://www.computer-support.ch/Xupport/ por the past 4 months and works great for cron jobs, updating prebindings and repairing permissions, but that's a small part of the many features it has, and its free and small in size