Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram.png
Last November, Instagram announced much stricter rules for accessing its API, effectively putting an end to dozens of both legitimate and questionable third-party apps and websites that integrated with the photo sharing service on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and other devices.

Instagram began reviewing new and existing apps before granting full API access starting December 3, 2015, but the changes for apps created before November 17, 2015 only went into effect on Wednesday, rendering any remaining third-party apps that implemented photo feeds virtually useless.

Third-party websites that enabled users to search Instagram photos and hashtags, such as Gramfeed and Mixagram, also ceased functioning on June 1.

"Goodbye! As of June 1st 2016, Gramfeed will no longer function. To conform with the Instagram API Platform changes, Gramfeed had to be transitioned to a new service called Picodash and is focused on providing the search and social media management functionality to brands, publishers and journalists."

Instagram's new Platform Policy is available on its developer website.

Article Link: Third-Party Instagram Apps and Websites Cease to Work

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
So? Instagram announced this months ago. These services should have let their users know months ago also. Iconosquare and others did.

This isn't news.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So? Instagram announced this months ago. These services should have let their users know months ago also. Iconosquare and others did.

This isn't news.
Seems like the part of it actually kicking in is news.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
Has Instagram given any good reason why they haven't created an iPad app?

Use instagram.com and save a bookmark to your home screen.

I hope the 3rd party Instagram app on my Apple TV still works..

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If only Instagram has better search options. Twitter has advanced search options that let you search by date, specific handle, you can even filter and just search on verified accounts. I used 3rd party Instagram client because their search options were better.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Between being unable to zoom into photos on the mobile client, not being able to save images you like, and these recent design decisions, I continue to be glad I just tweet photos directly rather than use Instagram.

May it die in a fire.

Digitalwitch

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2016

Instagram.png
Last November, Instagram announced much stricter rules for accessing its API, effectively putting an end to dozens of both legitimate and questionable third-party apps and websites that integrated with the photo sharing service on iPhone, iPad, Mac, and other devices.

Instagram began reviewing new and existing apps before granting full API access starting December 3, 2015, but the changes for apps created before November 17, 2015 only went into effect on Wednesday, rendering any remaining third-party apps that implemented photo feeds virtually useless.

Third-party websites that enabled users to search Instagram photos and hashtags, such as Gramfeed and Mixagram, also ceased functioning on June 1.

"Goodbye! As of June 1st 2016, Gramfeed will no longer function. To conform with the Instagram API Platform changes, Gramfeed had to be transitioned to a new service called Picodash and is focused on providing the search and social media management functionality to brands, publishers and journalists."

Instagram's new Platform Policy is available on its developer website.

Article Link: Third-Party Instagram Apps and Websites Cease to Work
[doublepost=1464976704][/doublepost]It's is the last of a series of user-unfriendly updates, on the other hand, as they highlight in the same post, their "media Partners" programs are doing great and here's my rant http://www.artmediatiq.com/instagram-api-update/

soniasim

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Just got an appstore update for the Followers app and it mentions in the description that this is gonna be the last update, because of the API... So apart from the feed apps, the follower apps are also affected by this change?

lancejorton

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Ridiculous. I can't stand the Instagram app. So I'm done with viewing Instagram until they change. I'm just one user but hopefully others will do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.