Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justjax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
I bought a data cable (USB to lightning) on amazon last week and when I connected it to my phone iOS 7 came up with a warning that third party cable my not work, etc. anyway it's seems to charge fine but I recall the other day about 3rd chargers catching fire? If it's just a
Data cable is it safe? I'm plugging it into one of the old style official apple charger plugs.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
I bought a data cable (USB to lightning) on amazon last week and when I connected it to my phone iOS 7 came up with a warning that third party cable my not work, etc. anyway it's seems to charge fine but I recall the other day about 3rd chargers catching fire? If it's just a
Data cable is it safe? I'm plugging it into one of the old style official apple charger plugs.

Most likely will be fine. Thousands upon thousands use third party cables and there was one story of a person using a third party thirty pin charger that exploded. A few more here and there. Chances of something happening are very very slim, particularly if the cable had a good rating on amazon.

I use third party cables at home, office and in my car daily and have never had a problem. If anyone is interested the brand I use is iSound.

justjax

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
Okay thanks, sounds like its the charger pin/plug that's more of the concern then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.