Third Party Wii Controllers?

Discussion in 'Games' started by jdechko, Aug 24, 2006.

1. jdechko macrumors 68040

Another thread on MR (Logitech Revolution) made me wonder what the situation will be with any potential third party Wii controllers. I assume that there will be a few companies that attempt to make them, but do you think that the complex design will pretty much kill many companies from even trying?

2. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Perhaps. I could see third party companies making classic wii controllers. Maybe one that is shaped like an N64 controller with an appropriately placed Z button....

3. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Complexity of the controller won't stop companies from making 3rd party controllers. They make a lot of money off that stuff and will jump on it in a second. I'd say those companies will wait until the Wii really takes off before you start seeing any so it might be a year before 3rd party Wiimotes show up.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

On a semi-related topic- Is there a sort of plastic paint I can get for DS Lite/Wii colouring? I have this idea for a delicate, unobtrusive design that I'd love to use. Just that with all the people I know planning on buying a Wii (a white one at that), differentiating controllers will be important to me. Which is where I flow into the topic... unless theres a very snazzy N64/Cube styled Gyro controller. Wireless. For Retro use. :)

5. Moria macrumors regular

I really hope there aren't any 3rd party controllers.
    They aren't as comfortable to hold.
    They usually break
    They suck

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

They ones with Air coming out of them? Useless unless your sweat a lot, or game for hours on end.. still cool.. i've never had one, but my friend did for xBox and it was nice.

7. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

I think that it the complexity may stop quite a few companies from making them. If I had to guess, I'd definitely say that Pelican would continue to make controllers, but I just don't see it being as big of a market with this design. (The whole "micro" controller idea wouldn't work well). There's a slim chance that Logitech could come out with one, but they never (to my knowledge) came out with a gamecube controller, only XBox (and 360) and PS2-- and the GC controller is much easier to build than the Wii-mote.

8. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i bet most 3rd party peripheral companies are going to continue to keep making controllers. there will probably be a while between the time when the Wii is out and 3rd party controllers become available. assumin of course that you're talking about the Wiimote and not the classic one.

9. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

That's actually a good idea! That way you're not having to plug into your wiimote and drain the batteries.

10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Logitech won't be far behind with some sort of out of this world wiimote with rubber grips and a a/c unit for your hands to be cooled.

Bless

11. Motley macrumors 6502

Does Nintendo have any patents on the design or tech in the controller? That could be a big hinderance in any third party making controllers.

12. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Def. because its just way too much expensive tech to hand out for free. They'll license out to the 3rd parties alright though.

13. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Hopefully 3rd party controllers are made for the Wii. I'd like a Lucas Arts game to come with a miniature lightsaber :)

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I think any type of hobby paint used for model painting (there are metal models too so find something for plastics) and a primer should work. As always airbrushing will make it look non-brush stroke.

I'll prolly end up painting a design on my controller. Most likely something simple and stenciled.

15. jdechko thread starter macrumors 68040

Ooooh. I like that Idea.